1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radar cruise control & emergency braking

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ozboy, Jun 26, 2009.

1. ozboy

ozboy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it is disappointing that the 2010 Prius doesn't have full automatic braking (i.e. you only have to steer), to avoid an accident. I sort of feel that they half done things by halves.
    From memory Mercedes has had it for nearly 10 years now as well as a couple of other car manufacturers.

Anyone know why Toyota didn't include it?
    Would it be too expensive?
    Is the car's braking system & technology such that it would be incapable of doing this?
    Is it a way of Toyota extracting more money from buyers, by releasing on the next model (Gen IV), like Microsoft does by constantly updating with new versions of Windows?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just a guess but I beleive to keep costs down they didn't make it a full system (don't forge the AT package is really $2700, since the nav portion of the package alone would be $1800).

Also, does the Lexus have full braking like the Volvo city safe? That is what you would liked to have seen right? Maybe they figure if you want the full system, buy a Lexus.

Honeslty, I am more than happyw with how the system performs for the extra price I paid for the AT Package.

3. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So if I have full auto braking and I'm going arounf a mountain hairpin turn as a car approaches would my car come to a stop? Does the Prius ATP sense that and tighten the belts on you? I can see situations where if this is sensitive it might be annoying.

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Not sure, I know I remember someone on here (I think someone in Florida) saying that somehow they managed to have the seatbelt pretensioners engage. He must be a crazy driver lol, I drive in NYC and even with people cutting me off etc I never had the car brake or pretension the seat belts on me yet.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That was because that silver/blue IS did a california merge (from onramp to fast lane) and cut in front of the Prius at highway speeds.

Probably not. I can see that happening with laser cruise though. With laser cruise control, if you were going uphill on the highway and there was an overpass, there's a chance that the laser will pick up the overpass and slow the car down. I think radar is better in that aspect.

Could be cost or to differentiate from the Lexus models. Toyota does have A-PCS (advanced PCS). It will include braking down to 0km/h. To engage, click resume and the car will accelerate and tag behind the car once again (e.g. the traffic light turns green).

A-PCS goes further with a rear-facing radar that senses a car approaching yours and prepares the seat to minimise whiplash injury. It also includes a forward-facing camera so the computer can map out the obstacle ahead of the car. It will (in addition to what the Prius does), quicken the steering ratio and stiffen the front suspension.

If that wasn't enough, it also includes a camera pointing at the driver. The computer maps out the driver's face and can tell if he's not paying attention and the car sees an object in the path of the car. It'll tap the brake and beep to get the driver's attention.

It does but it differs from CitySafe.

CitySafe works at low speeds and I don't think requires the cruise control to be activated. PCS, Pre-SAFE and CMBS (Collision Mitigation Braking System) work with the cruise control at higher speeds (in some cases, up to 200km/h).

6. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    PCS has a separate off switch. I'm almost certain it works whether or not cruise control is on.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dang it. I got confused with DRCC again. Thx!

Hmm... then what was the difference btwn PCS and CitySafe... CitySafe brakes to 0km/h I know but our PCS doesn't (but some PCS versions do...).

8. ozboy

ozboy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Which models is A-PCS on?

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LS460 L and LS600h L (I'm not sure if it's available on the LS460 regular wheelbase)

10. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Talking about bringing back an old post... haha. My partner just bought a couple weeks ago a 2010 package 5 with ATP. 92,000 miles and in decent shape. Other than some scuffs here and there. I was telling him how if someone in front of him stops suddenly, or if he stops suddenly (in an emergency situation where he hits the brake pedal fast as if panicking) the seat belts tighten. His don't. We tried (on roads with no traffic or public of course) everything like slamming the brakes, even setting the DRCC and then hitting the brakes fast and hard for a second to make it think there was an emergency. The seat belts did nothing.

I owned a 2010 Prius package 5 with ATP back in 2010, and the seat belts ALWAYS tightened when I did that stuff. Why is this one different? Is something wrong?