1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radar detector to fuse panel

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by splashback, May 15, 2007.

1. splashback

splashback New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In my last 2 cars I ran my radar detector to the fuse panel- basically I hooked up the wire to a fuse (window, sunroof etc)
    The Prius has the small fuses- can I go the the local parts store and buy something that will let me run the radar detector off the Prius' smaller fuses?

2. bobc

bobc New Member

Hi Splash,

I'm trying to understand your question. If you want to tap into an existing wire coming out of the fuse box, you can so this with a wire tap or telephone tap from Radio Shack. So, the fuse size is is immaterial.

If you're wanting to stick something metal up in the fuse box to that would fit between the fuse and the metal clips that hold the fuse, you can do this also. But, I wouldn't recommend it. A thin metal "pin" may be available at your local auto parts store. Just tell them what you you want to do. Why I wouldn't recommend this is for three reasons: The wire is going to be hanging down and you could possibly kick it causing it to dislodge and maybe even short out. With a wire stuck in there, you won't be able to put the fuse box cover back on. The third reason against it is that the metal clips in the fuse panel that hold the fuses are quite soft and easily bent. Forcing something in there wouldn't be good for them. If one was to break, it would be a very expensive part to replace.

I think that tapping into an existing wire would be the way to go. From John's site (http://vaq.net/) the wire that runs from the power outlet in the center console to the rear power outlet fuse comes out of the backside of the fuse box. There is a harness called, 1N, on the backside. You can tap into pin #3 on this harness and then whenever the car is on, the radar detector would have power.

Go to John's page for more info on which harness on the backside is the 1N harness and which pin is the #3. I've included the link below. Here's John;s map of the fused box. The numbers opposite each fuse is the harness and pin number on the back of the fuse box that you would need to tap into.http://www.vfaq.net/proj-pics/fuses/JB-fuses.gif

www.vfaq.net/proj-pics/fuses/JB-rear.gif is the diagram of the rear of the fuse box. So, if you were laying with your back on the floor mat on the driver's side and your head up against the pedals, you'll see this. The fuse box/junction box is this chunk of white plastic with wires plugging into it all over the place. The bottom of the fuse box is where the little black cover is that hides the actual fuses. So, this image is of the back side of the fuse box, the part that is facing the firewall.

Cheers,