1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radar Stealth???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ekpolk, Sep 30, 2007.

1. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Just noticed this a few days ago. Driving along a long straight stretch of Interstate that has construction on-going. They've got several of those radar speed signs that show the limit, and your speed for comparison. When I hit the crest about 1.5 miles before one of the signs, my V1 immediately started going off. Traffic was sparse, and as I approached the sign, I could see it presenting a speed readout for each of the handful of cars as they reached the sign. As I approached the sign, with no other cars nearby, although the V1 was going off full blast, I got no readout at all on the sign.

So, it appears that, for whatever reason, that radar had "locked on" to the previous conventional cars passing it, but did not lock on to me in my Prius. I'm wondering if the relatively radical wedge shape of the car makes it hard for these relatively crude "radar" devices to get a speed reading.

Any thoughts or observations?

2. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

Those speed detector systems take a few seconds to re-set for the next reading - it's likely that it re-set itself just as you went past. It could also be that the radar angle was set too high or too low.

Unless your car is completely made of wood or non-metal materials, radar will see ya!

3. geodosch

geodosch Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ekpolk @ Sep 30 2007, 09:37 PM) [snapback]519623[/snapback]</div>
    It's quite bizarre, but that exact question occurred to me today. I was driving home, and on my route there's a permanently mounted speed sign in a school zone. There were no cars ahead of me and one behind me. I watched the sign, though it didn't register until I was just passing it, and realized that it must not have gotten a reading on me, but it did on the car behind me. And yesterday, when I was driving the opposite direction, the sign on that side didn't clock me either, and there were no other cars immediately ahead or behind me that time.

I wondered if it's the angle of the hood and windshield that don't give a good radar reflection back, and instead scatter most of it upwards.

Figures, now that I have a car where I almost never exceed the speed limit, and it's invisible to speed rader. <_<

4. ekpolk

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboJones @ Sep 30 2007, 09:13 PM) [snapback]519629[/snapback]</div>
    Not necessarily so. I should have added that in an earlier life (pretty much the 1980s), I spent eight years in the EA-6B community, where our primary mission was messing up opposing radars and other electronic systems. As we know from the F-117 and the B-2, shape and surface materials do have great bearing upon a target's radar signature. In the car world, I've heard that previous generation Corvettes (a couple back) were very hard for police radar, apparently a result of both the fibreglass body and a radiator mounted in a tilted back orientation. I do think that the Prius shape may be scattering much of the police radar beam, rather than giving a clear, strong return signal.

As for yesterday, I really don't think it was a reset issue, as traffic was very sparse, and the previous car had passed at least 15-20 seconds earlier, and the sign had gone dark after the previous reading. As for positioning, it cleanly hit the cars in front of me.

Anyway, this just got me thinking (often a dangerous thing). This car is already plenty cool, all the better if it's a "stealth car" too! ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoDosch @ Sep 30 2007, 09:34 PM) [snapback]519641[/snapback]</div>
    Great point. I would suspect, however, that this car has a much more significant radar signature when shot from the rear, so I'd still recommend that you "check six" on a regular basis!

5. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I can tell you that the Prius is NOT low observable. Trust me.

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Plastic bumper may be hard for a radar to "see" by I bet the aluminium radiator, the bulbous curved aluminium bonnet and the aluminium engine block and transmission are clear as a bell in the "eyes" of the radar.

7. ekpolk

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Sep 30 2007, 11:02 PM) [snapback]519665[/snapback]</div>
    Oh don't worry, generally speaking, I trust you on that. As noted in my sig block, I've got an expensive and relatively unattractive, but very effective, V1 hanging on my windshield to prove it.

I still suspect that, at least in relative terms, the Prius has an advantage, given its shape, at least from the front (and maybe a disadvantage from the rear). But even with the wedgie shape, the headlights alone are probably very effective radar reflectors, and if the cop's beam is well aimed, probably make for an easy shot.

Another possible factor: speed radars are relatively unsophisticated devices, and really aren't "radar" (radio detection and ranging) at all. They use a continuous wave (non-pulsed) and don't measure range. All they do is measure the doppler shift of the strongest return of what they "think" is their own transmitted signal, and compute speed from that.

Still, two of us at least have seen radar signs fail to lock on to our Prii. No, I don't think the car is radar invisible (almost nothing truly is), and no, I'm not going to start ignoring the V1's warnings, but I still suspect we've got an advantage somewhere (size, shape, etc.).

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Police in Australia use hand held speed detection devices (radar gun)which are a laser distance measuring device which uses the closing distance over time to calculate speed. They work off any solid device and display both speed and distance to target at lock. Lock is when the trigger is released and the speed and distance lock on. I have used the radar guns. They are aimed at the headlights or front number plate for best results.
    Fixed speed detection uses wire loops in the road surface to time the vehicle over a fixed distance.
    Car mounted speed detection devices use a slant dopler effect radar to measure closing or departing speed, they record a distance to the target on the photograph.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ekpolk @ Oct 1 2007, 06:59 AM) [snapback]519752[/snapback]</div>
    My Prius gets picked up just fine by the local speed signs, but obviously the Prius has a lower return than a truck or boxy SUV. The frontal area of the Prius is well sloped with only a small radiator mounted very low. I have noticed in traffic that the speed signs tend to stay with the vehicle in front or jump to a following one, locking onto the Prius for a shorter than expected time.

As for your V1, have you considered mounting a couple of HARMs on a roof rack? I think it would help.

Tom

10. ekpolk

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Oct 1 2007, 07:58 AM) [snapback]519773[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I considered the HARM roof rack option, but opted against it for two reasons. First off, the price tag for just one HARM would cover several hundred speeding citations. Second, although my car is black, I was still concerned that the rocket blast might have a somewhat negative impact on the durability and appearance of my car. An entertaining idea nevertheless. . . B)

11. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 1 2007, 07:17 AM) [snapback]519754[/snapback]</div>
    That is not "radar", but "laser" - radar uses radio frequencies that bounce off targets, laser uses collimated light. Laser systems rely on hitting solid objects that reflect light, while radar can go through some materials and still reflect frequencies.

I think laser speed detectors are more dependable when used correctly, since you can aim the light at specific points in the car - radar uses wide beams and may be affected by shape and materials.

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ekpolk @ 2007 09 30 20:15) [snapback]519651[/snapback]</div>
    Would that explain the bits of wrinkled metal foil all over your radiator? Or the Christmas tree tinsel woven into your sound-deadening material? ;)

13. ekpolk

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Oct 1 2007, 10:37 AM) [snapback]519817[/snapback]</div>
    ...and next, I'm installing a covert chaff dispenser. Can't wait to see the looks on other drivers' faces as mysterious metallic clouds billow forth from beneath my homely little Prius. ;)

14. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i pass one of those signs a couple of times daily, and it never fails to see me. :(

15. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL.. the dispensed chaff might very well earn you a ticket for littering instead of speeding. :lol:

Didn't they try that on Mythbusters? A chaff dispenser on a car in an attempt to foil radar. I'm pretty sure they did 2000 things wrong with their experimental setup, but as a simple garage-tinkerer attempt it definitely didn't work..

Maybe see-through gold leaf coatings on the inside of the windows and headlamp housings to decrease their RCS would help? :D I think that's what Lockheed used to coat the cockpit window panes on the F-117A to prevent radar waves from getting into the cockpit and getting a return off the pilot's head. The coating gave the windows a cool-looking tint too.

It'd be cool to see an aftermarket panel kit that puts sawtooth edges on the car, radar-deflecting grills (like the intakes on the F-117), and faceted body panels. B)

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JustLurkin @ Oct 1 2007, 12:22 PM) [snapback]519834[/snapback]</div>
    I hope that was an accident and not a really, really bad pun. :blink:

Tom

17. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I pass those radar signs often... and the distance my detector picks up the same ones varies greatly, I can't find any reason sometimes I pick them up a mile away and sometimes a couple hundred feet away. Maybe they go into a low power mode after a given time of inactivity. They usually give me my speed accurately though. Many here on PC claim radar detectors are not needed. I guess they don't pulse up to 40 in a 35 zone before gliding??? That's all it takes to get tagged here. And I guarantee the coppers will see your Prius on their radar guns.

18. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've set those speed signs off while riding my bicycle. There is a downhill run near my house that is advertised at 35, but most ppl drive 50. I got it to show 36 while riding my bike, which I thought was cool. My Prius does register the same as everybody else's car when I drive it past the sign. I'm not radar stealth, and neither is my car.

19. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

What might explain this is the roadside sign antenna was slightly uptilted. From the top radiator slot on upward a Prius is low observable by radio reflection. So, if the antenna was iluminating only that portion of the car, that jives with the experiences. If the radar is point horizintally, it illuminates the radiator, lights, and license plate. All good reflectors.

Of course that is useless for avoiding tickets, except possibly by mis-adjusted automatic systems. A police officer is going to aim that radar right at your front plate / radiator. which will give a really good reflection.

20. ekpolk

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Just observed the same effect again this afternoon. The sign was locking up cars before me, ahead in the distance, but when it was my turn -- nothing (though the V1 was going off full blast).

No, I certainly don't think the Prius is invisible to radar, but I do suspect that it's less visible than more typically shaped vehicles.

Another theoretical possibility: perhaps the particular radar has its beam tilted somewhat upward, such that only the bottom of the beam is catching passing vehicles. If the beam were primarily hitting the only sloped back hood and windshield, perhaps there's enough reflection away from the antenna to prevent a lock on a passing Prius. Having done some research a while back (oddly enough, around the time I got my last citation -- which I beat in court), and the typical guns have a tight, 8-10 degree "pencil beam". This would seem to indicate that perhaps aiming issues, alone or in combination with target vehicle shape and size, may also be a factor.