1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radiator Coolant Overflow Expansion Tank Cap Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Umar Farooq, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Umar Farooq

Umar Farooq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy. I had a quick question regarding the replacement of the radiator overflow expansion tank cap. I popped the hood a few days back and notices that the cap on there was broken. So I went a head and ordered a new one. I tried replacing it, but the cap does not form a tight seal with the tank. I assumed the part was wrong, so I ordered another one from my Toyota dealership. However, I ran into the same issue. Is there a sealant or some specific method of putting the cap on?

I have attached a picture of the tank.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In an overflow-bottle system like Gen 2, it isn't necessary for the cap on the overflow bottle to seal airtight. Coolant routinely moves between the pressurized radiator and the bottle in normal operation, and the bottle remains at atmospheric pressure, with air entering and exiting at the cap.

It is different with a degas-bottle system like Gen 3 has.

Fred_H likes this.