1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radiator Drain and Fill

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rogerthat, Dec 20, 2021.

1. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I drained the radiator earlier today after a forum member suggested it as an alternative to a complete engine coolant drain. In total, 2250mL drained directly from the radiator.

However, I only managed to refill with about 2050mL. I used a Lisle funnel and opened the radiator bleed port, vinyl tube attached, to assist in the fill ( I closed the port when fluid started coming into the tube). I also turned on the ICE and cranked up the heat for 5 min, but still couldn't get the last roughly 200ml of coolant into the system. I then took the car for a short drive and after it had cooled the water level in the radiator neck had gone down an inch so I topped it off, but I'm still likely at least 150mL short of the total amount of drained coolant.

So what's the best way to proceed? Should I just keep checking daily and top it off when I notice the level is low? Does the system self bleed while just driving?

Otherwise should I reattach the Lisle funnel, fill it up with an excess of coolant, and try bleed the system by running the ICE for a longer period? I could also run the CHRS pump using a multi-meter... just not completely sure of the best route at this point.

#1 rogerthat, Dec 20, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    150ml is nothing. If you insist on getting every last drop back in, just check it every morning, fill to the top of the radiator. If you do this for 3 or 4 days, you should be able to get everything back in

SFO likes this.