1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radiator Fan Clicking Sound

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by HeavyUser, Mar 25, 2015.

1. HeavyUser

HeavyUser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hey everybody, 1st time poster here. I recently got rid of my 13' Si and joined the Prius C family a few days ago. It was a big change change going from a high revving engine to a hybrid. I must say though, I'm in love with my C3.

Over the last few days I've been figuring out all the different noises the engine makes. At this point I've figured out what all them are and that they're pretty much all normal sounds from a hybrid. There is one noise in particular that I have not been able to figure out if its normal or not and I'm hoping one of you guys can let me know if your Cs make the same sound.

Whenever the radiator fan turns on there is an audible ongoing clicking sound. It almost sounds like the fan is hitting something yet when the motor stops running and the fan is winding down the noise isn't present. You can't hear the clicking from the inside the cabin or even outside the car, the noise is only audible when to hood is popped.

I'm aware that I can drive to dealer and test one of their Cs but the drive is quite far. So, if any of you would be so kind as to let me know if your 2014 Prius C makes the same sound I would extremely grateful.

If needed I can upload a short video of the sound.

-Thanks

#1 HeavyUser, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does it make the noise when the fan stays on after the engine shuts down?

3. HeavyUser

HeavyUser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, the noise happen solely when the fan motor is engaged.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you look for debris? are there two fans like the lift back?

5. HeavyUser

HeavyUser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    One fan, no debris. I would think if there was debris or something hitting the fan the noise would be present even after the fan motor disengages but there is not. The fan motor will disengage and while the fan continues to wined down there is no noise.

I don't believe there is an issue with the fan motor, I was more or less wondering if anyone in a 14' Prius C hears the same noise as I do coming from the radiator fan. If not, then off to the dealership I go.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you hear anything if you spin it by hand?

7. HeavyUser

HeavyUser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    No, only when the fan motor engages.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, i was confused. you say the fan itself is not making the noise, but you don't believe it is the motor?

9. HeavyUser

HeavyUser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I apologize if my wording is throwing you off. I believe they're two parts to the radiator fan, the fan motor(not the engine) that makes it spin and the fan blade. I believe it is the fan motor that is making the ticking sound as the noise is only present when the fan motor engages.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gotcha, thanks. hopefully, someone with a c would jump in here, but i can say, i've never heard this complaint.