1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radiator water.

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by bruce123, Apr 18, 2013.

1. bruce123

bruce123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Me again....sorry for the duplication of my last post re heated seats.

New question...how often does the radiator have to be topped up with water in your experience? OR does the car only rely on coolant in the radiator system. Sorry to ask such a basic question,but I am finding the manual singularly unhelpful in a number of areas including this one.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can't speak specifically for the c, but I can say for my 06 regular Prius (which I've owned since January 06), after 70K miles, I can't think of a single time I've needed to add coolant. I don't even have any Toyota SLLC at home.

If it's been topped off/any has been added, the dealers I've taken it to have done so when I bring it on for an oil change (6 month/5K mile intervals on my Gen 2 Prius). The intervals should be longer for you.

3. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't use water! Use only Toyota SLLC (Super Long Life Coolant) if you need to top it off. If your dealer is doing your services PROPERLY then they should be topping fluids off when needed.

SPH-D710 ? 2

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    People add coolant? :eek:
    Uh.....not me.
    Not for any of my vehicles in the last 5 years or so.
    There's an expansion tank that you can check to see if your coolant level is OK.
    You'll see it whenever (if ever) you check your oil level.
    Since most people do not check their oil levels (either)...most cars will give you a warning message when your coolant level is low.
    I'm not sure if the Prius has this feature or not, since most other cars also have a temperature gauge! :(

Ha!
    Reminds me of my V-rod.
    The (air quotes) "reeeal" bikers out there are always ribbing me about having a water cooled Harley.
    I always tell them it's not water-cooled.....it's liquid cooled. :D

5. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    A bit under 20 years driving... I have never ever needed to add coolant... I've never seen the levels in the expansion tank drift below maximum.