1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radio and Electrical problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by brogall, Oct 24, 2009.

1. brogall

brogall New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All, I think I need to replace my radio but I have some questions. We have a 2004 Prius with the base radio with single CD. A couple of weeks ago the audio stopped working and we also lost the inside lights and the power locks and the lcd display. I found and replaced 2 blown fuses ( #16 PANEL 7.5A and #39 DOME 15A ) and everything but the audio came back. Fuse #45 AMP 30A looked fine but I replaced it anyway.

Now I'm not sure what caused this event but it might have something to do with the fact that my son put a dime in the CD player several months ago. I brought it to the dealer (needed a 60K check anyway). They said I needed to replace the radio (they didn't open the radio - they don't do that). They offered to put a refurbished one in for about $325. I'm wondering if I can just get a radio from a salvager and put it in. How hard is it and do I need any other parts? Also are the radios locked to the car's VIN?

Finally, after reading old posts here I decided to try the diagnostic screen. The system check showed OK for EMV and G/W but NCON for Audio H/U. When I hit the LAN MON button it still showed NCON for Audio H/U but the other two showed CHEK. When I hit the CHEK buttons I got some codes.

EMV CHEK gave me:
    01-D5 190-21-F
    01-DC 1c6-1B-F
    01-DC 190-05-5

G/W CHEK gave me:
    01-DC 110-1F-F

No idea what any of those mean.
    I should also probably mention that I needed to jump the car recently because of an inside light left on.

Any help is appreciated.

Ben