1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radio Blown

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by panquin, Oct 25, 2012.

1. panquin

panquin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I'm kind of an idiot and on my sub amp the wire out got hooked up my wires to my car speakers while replacing the battery and it went boom and there was a smell of burnt electrical. Now I don't have any sound coming out all in my car. I'm trying to figure out if it is a fuse problem or if I blew out all of my speakers, but before this happened I disconnected the center speaker by the screen because I wanted a more stereo sound in my car. I reattached the center speaker recently and still no sound. I looked at the fuses underneath the steering wheel and I couldn't find any blown fuses. A friend of mine told me I might need to buy a new radio since mine might have got fried. I really don't know tho. If anyone could help me it would be awesome. Oh and I did have a prius with a working sub up until this happened. Thanks

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    you probably didn't blow out all your speakers unless they really went BOOM!!! I mean like ringing ears boom. and even then if it was just the speakers they'd buzz or rattle instead of nothing. most likely cooked the stereo, but if your kind of an idiot, i suggest you find someone who is not and let them do your electrical work. you will save money in the long run.

3. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    burnt electrical smell means it's more than just a fuse. Since you have the JBL setup with the center speaker, it may be the stock amp. I'd start with checking all your fuses, opening up the dash to expose the factory head-unit and see if you smell the burnt electrical there? then I'd locate the factory amp and do the same thing. Wow does that suck! Sorry to hear the bad news...:(

4. panquin

panquin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Its cool I found the burnt smell by the amp underneath the passenger seat. And I just ordered a new one. None of the fuses were broken tho.

5. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I hope replacing the amp fixes the problem. my fingers are crossed for you!