1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radio completely shut off with 896 miles (2 weeks old) on my '10 Prius II

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by lushprius, Jan 7, 2011.

1. lushprius

lushprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was driving to work yesterday and my stock radio completely shut off. It will not come back on. The local dealer was very helpful today, however. After a few hours of investigative work & a few calls to Toyota corp., they have determined that it was a bad component in the radio. They are rush ordering me a new one. Anyone else see this?

2. JOL

JOL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mine isn't quite the same situation as yours, but my audio (over AM/FM/SAT or CD) will start distorting after a few minutes and then the audio will disappear altogether after 10-15 minutes. The dealer has ordered a new radio to see if that will resolve this issue, but I am curious to hear what is causing my issue.

What's weird in my situation is that the audio has worked in the morning when I first turn on the car. It's only after a few minutes when this issue arises.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    IMO it's a thermal problem. When everything is cold there is a good connection. As the circuits heat up there is enough expansion somewhere to break contact in a circuit.

4. nchs021

nchs021 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am having a slightly different problem with my 2010 AND my wife's 2011!!! The radios just shut off out of the blue, and erase all of the presets. It's probably happened 5-7 times in the last couple months between the two cars... It always happens to us while listening to burned MP3 cd's... Never the radio or satellite radio.
    The radio just goes completely black, and when you power it back on, everything is erased. The dealership actually replaced BOTH radios, but the new radios still do it. Could it be the CD-RW BRAND? BTW, both cars have <5k miles.
    It's extremely aggravating!!! Anybody else having this problem?

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Does it happen with commercial discs? Does it happen only to a particular CDRW? When making a copy why would you want to use a rewriteable?

6. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're one of the lucky ones ... the II's radio really sucks .... :D

REV

7. nchs021

nchs021 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Sorry, They are CD-R, not RW...

And it has never happened with an original store bought CD... Only burned MP3 cd's so far... but that's all we have used in the player.

8. GBC_Texas_Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We have a very similar problem as JOL on our 2010. After about 15-20 minutes, the radio would start sounding like it was being held under water, about 5 minutes after that, it would go almost completely out. You can change stations, but you don't hear anything and the volume knob doesn't work. Plugging in a auxiliary device like an ipod doesn't work either.

Now the radio is at the point where it rarely comes on at all.

We took it in to the dealer. I made the mistake of saying, if it were me, I would just replace the radio. The technician said it was a thousand dollar radio and he couldn't replace it without me dropping it off so that he could spend a couple of hours doing diagnostics. Okay, we'll bring the car back later when we have a second car with us.

We go back, a different tech comes out. Turns the knob a few times, and goes, yep, need to order a new radio, it'll take about 5 days.

Just as long as it is fixed by the time our June road trip rolls around.