1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radio cut out!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by SalLema, Aug 18, 2006.

1. SalLema

SalLema Sal's Pride

[/color]
    My 2006 Prius hums along very well. last week I got a whopping 52 mpg traveling between Palos Heights and Darien. I have achieved a little over 6200 miles since March. But the last few days I have noticed a strange problem. When I make a tight turn as if to pull into a parking space, the radio shuts off for a few seconds and then returns. The problem I have does not show up all the time, hence the real problem to get it fixed. This has happened twice; once turning left, the other a right turn and I had the FM on each time. Has anyone else had this occur to their car?

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sal's Pride @ Aug 18 2006, 09:19 AM) [snapback]305366[/snapback]</div>

quick question your not bumping the audio buttons on the steering wheel when your turning are you. That might explain it. If not this should be an interesting one to have diagnoised. Keep us informed.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Are you perhaps in a parking garage or down town, ie someplace where the reception could momentarily cut out due to obstructions in the way? i'm guessing the answer is no, but it never hurts to check the obvious...

4. philwojo

philwojo Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well I live in Darien and I never have that problem so I would say it is not the reception issue.

Maybe there is some kind of lose wire in the wheel that is only being affected by hard turns. I would also check if you are hitting any of the buttons.

Being it has happened only a few times, maybe next time it happens back out again and then pull in again and see if you can recreate it.

Also, if you can get it to occur again, see if it happens on anything other than just FM.

If it continues to occurr more frequently, then take it to your dealer and have them take a look at it. I really suspect a wire that is either going bad or is bad. It might have been cut and now when you turn it rubs and as your turn the wheel back it goes back to normal.

Phil

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

You have to press the MODE button on the wheel for a full second or two before the radio turns off, so I doubt you're hitting anything or any wire is loose in the steering.

Are you actually seeing the radio turn off, or there's just no sound? Any banners show in the display (like volume)?

6. mtsarpilot

mtsarpilot Junior Member

Looks like you have a package 5, so you have the bluetooth phone interface. I wonder if there could be a loose wire somewhere, and when you turn, that loose wire is advising the system to shut off the audio in preperation for use of the phone. A datapoint you can use when talking with your Toyota service folks.

7. SalLema

SalLema Sal's Pride

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32 @ Aug 21 2006, 03:25 PM) [snapback]306941[/snapback]</div>
    The screen went black for a few seconds. I haven't had the problem return since then though.