1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radio freezes/locks up when using USB port

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Imaginex20, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Imaginex20

Imaginex20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hello, I just purchased a 2012 Prius Three. It has the touchscreen radio and whenever I use the USB port with either my iPod or USB drive the song would randomly freeze and would not play any other songs. When I switch source to Bluetooth it would just display loading. The FM and SAT would still work fine. If I listen to Bluetooth through phone it never locks up.

To get it working again I would have to turn off the car for a few minutes then turn back on. What could possibly be the issue? How do I even hard reboot the stereo?

2. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had a similar problem using a USB stick drive in my entertainment center's streaming device. The shows would seize up and I wondered if it was the device or the USB drive. As it turned out, my USB drive had become fragmented. First, back up your USB drive somewhere on your computer. This trick only works on Windows 7, but right-click on the drive and in the pop-up menu choose Properties. In that little window, click Tools and you should see 2 options: 1) check for errors, which you can do and/or 2) defragment drive. Don't interrupt either process. It might solve your problem when playing it in the car radio. This happens to any USB drive that has been written onto repeatedly over time, especially if you delete files too.

3. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I would also check the port down there in the bottom of the center console for debris. A bit of paper, or worse yet a staple, could certainly complicate the necessary connections.

4. Imaginex20

Imaginex20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I fixed it by updating my Entune system to the latest version 5.1. My system was at version 2.1. There are occasional skips here and there but doesn't lock up my system anymore.

5. Bret Carlin

Bret Carlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have found on my Prius C 3 that if I reinstall the latest entune firmware from a thumb drive, it behaves for awhile.

6. Celanie Almquist

Celanie Almquist New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How do you go about doing that? And what is entune?