1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radio Head Unit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by DenToyPri05, Jan 7, 2015.

1. DenToyPri05

DenToyPri05 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So...when i got my Prius, the volume knob didn't work, and I thought I could live with it. Steering wheel controls work fine...except when I'm turning the wheel, then I have to chase the buttons. I really want the volume knob to function properly.

Here's the problem with it: the post that inserts into the head unit volume receiving column is sheared off and stuck in there. I tried super-gluing it back together, but that didn't give me the slight bumpy sensation when I turned it. I thought it would at least depress, but not when it was superglued together. It won't pop in and out when I press on it when it was glued.

I was given the bad news by two places that the entire head unit needs to be replaced...the broken knob part can not be "fished" out and then replaced with a new knob.

The cost, from the dealer, the head unit is $1650...uninstalled. Holy crud!

I'm going to ebay it, but before I do, has anyone had the same issue?

I have a 2005 Prius with Package #6. Can I just swap the head unit or do I have to do a complete replacement of head unit and nav unit as well?

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Knob or actually rotary encoder can be replaced separately. But first you have to take unit out and then have somebody used to small electronic repairs change it.

It’s probably just cheaper to install used head unit.

3. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not that I'm looking for excuse to spend money but if/when the factory head unit in our "05 pkg 6 decides to stop playing nicely, it will get replaced with an aftermarket head unit about fast as I can order one. For $1650 you can have about the pick of the litter on sites like Crutchfield. I believe the radio head unit is separate from the NAV/MFD. Search in this section as others have posted the installs of their aftermarket head units. Some of the installs were done very well.

4. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    get rid of that oem junk!!! aftermarket 2din head unit is better in every way if you get a good brand. all the steering wheel buttons will work if you get the right adapter, there is no downside, unless you prefer the sound of a cheap stereo with no modern options.

TommySI likes this.
  5. DenToyPri05

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    haha...my truck has harmon kardon system, and a gillion speakers. the jbl on the prius seems plebian in comparison. however, it's still not a bad system. i think i'm going to stick to an oem for now. while the dash guts are open, i'll install some kind of droid phone charger...at least in my head it sounds like a good thing to do.

6. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    wasn't bad in '05, but lack of BT, usb and aux make it lame by today's standards.

7. DenToyPri05

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Haha...I've been so used to the cassette aux adapter hooked up to my phone that I've gotten so used to the lameness. I switched to a OnePlus phone but haven't played with trying to download the address book yet. My iPhone 4 wasn't phonebook compatible. My ins co gave me a hands free BT unit and it works better than the car's BT. For now, it'll do. I'll upgrade in another month or so.

8. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I meant BT audio; that's what I like to use. I got this cheezy adapter which plugs into my '06 aux port, and its barely enough to keep me from buying the correct adapter to scrap the oem head unit. if I wasn't poor I'd have done it already. I have like 3,200 mp3 files in the micro sd chip in my phone. funny how that compares to several boxes of cassettes or books of cd's...

9. DenToyPri05

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, definitely want that feature: BT audio. I looked at Car Toys and what they have to offer, but that was about 4 months ago. I hope I stumble upon an awesome new toy on the market just for our situation.

10. DenToyPri05

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I went for the cheapest fix for my original goal: a working volume knob. Bought a replacement unit off of eBay and installed today. Now I have the working volume knob. $75 for the head unit, Google, YouTube, and PriusChat. Done.