1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radio presets lost, everything else OK

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tacomel, Sep 5, 2006.

1. tacomel

tacomel New Member

Strange thing happened today, with my 2006 #5. I seem to have lost all of my radio presets (FM1 & AM; I never set anything in FM2). All were reset to their defaults. When I switched to FM1, I was also not on the last radio station I had on; I was on 87.3 (I think) which in our area is not a station.

However, nothing else seems to have been lost. Trip odometers and overall odometer were all fine. The consumption screen had the correct tank data. Reverse beep was still disabled. The CD player correctly remembered which disc was playing and started up playing right where it left off the last time I was running the car (correct track, and as best as I can remember, correct spot within the track). Bluetooth remembered and paired to my phone, and all of my speed dials were still there. And, last but not least, the car started.

I checked for obvious drains on the 12V battery. The front map/reading lights were off, hatch light was off, headlights were off. I had the car locked, and entered it via SKS, receiving two beeps as the car unlocked.

I had last driven the car on Sunday, for about 200 miles, so it was sitting less than 48 hours when this occurred.

Any ideas, other than just to reprogram the radio and see if it happens again?

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My only thought is that there's a loose connection somewhere... If you've done any of the mods behind the dash, check to make sure the harness into the radio is snuggly in. With the CD resuming where it left off, you'd think that wasn't the problem, but i'm not sure how it keeps track of that... it may simply use the current location of the CD and lens to figure out where it should be, which wouldn't be changed if it lost power. Since everything else remained ok, it's highly doubtful youy have a problem with the battery terminal connection.Reset them and see how it behaves... since you've got a 2006, it's got 3 more years to happen again before you leave warrenty, so i wouldn't take it into the dealer just yet. (especially since intermitent problems like this are hard as hell to track down).

3. Ichiro

Ichiro Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This same thing just happened to my '08 Prius... lost all my presets and other stereo settings. The average MPG and trip mileage were not lost however.

Anyone else ? I hate having to set all my favorite stations again!! WAPITA

4. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Check your battery (12v) connections. There have been several posts about them coming loose.

5. Ichiro

Ichiro Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I have no idea where the 12V battery is in my car :-(

6. Dot

Dot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just had the same problem, only our 06' wouldn't start just clicked. We were told by Toyota of Glendora, CA that this was NOT covered by the regular or Platinum Warranty (was told batteries were at time of purchase). After $293 it now runs.

7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    It is in the luggage area under the carpet on the passenger side.

JeffD

8. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's exactly what happened when I replaced the battery last month.

9. Ichiro

Ichiro Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I bought my Prius on 5/2008 and I have about 45K miles... seems early for the 12V battery to start failing. I guess I'll give the terminals a look