1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radio Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by AlphaTeam, Mar 31, 2006.

1. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK I'm getting pissed.
    I'm having this nasty rattle/staic noise on my radio.
    At first I thought it was my Sirius radio, but I also get it on AM radio and my Ipod.
    I get it mostly on the talk stations.
    So I took it in to one dealership and they replaced the center speaker. That is where it sounded like the noise came from.
    That didn't fix it, then they replaced the amp. That didnt' fix it.
    I was pissed about this repair also. They give me my car after putting the new amp in and say "here ya go its all set" I pull out of the garge and dont' leave the parking lot. I STILL hear it. I pull back in and talk to the service lady and she says "I didn't hear it the first time, but I did AFTER they replaced the amp". So thanks...you give it to me and don't tell me you didn't fix it.
    So then they say.."Well I'm going to wait until we get another Prius in and see if we can replicate the problem"
    That was like 3 weeks ago. So I go to a different dealer and they guy says that if I want them to work on it I will have to pay for it. He says since it isnt' on the FM and most people listen to FM that since I listen to talk radio that it is my problem. That if they start to replace items and they are not bad that I will have to pay for it. Eventhough the problem is noticeable from THREE different sources that it is somehow MY fault because I listen to talk.

So I got one place that won't help and another that wants to charge me because I listen to talk radio. I called the first place says they are still researching my issue. What can I do?

2. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You need to go up the chain of command. Ask to talk to a regional service rep and complain loudly in front of other service customers, it stinks but the squeky wheel gets the oil.

3. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 77k miles on my 04 and the AM radio reception is about half of the range versus new. It is definitely caused by static from the MG. At full stop it's OK, but in accel or regen static is created. Try coasting in regen the slip it into neutral, if the static goes away it's MG noise.
    I'm not going to pay for a MG rebuild or replace so my options are:
    Replace radio, replace antenna booster(I think DanMan32 mentioned this somewhere) , add noise filter before radio or add noise filter before antenna filter.
    I have the single CD radio ( package #6)

4. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My 2006 has 5000 miles on it. It did this with 100 miles on it.
    Stoping, moving, coasting, whatever...still I get a buzzing noise.

5. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(200Volts @ Mar 31 2006, 12:47 PM) [snapback]233002[/snapback]</div>
    What is MG?

6. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Magnetic Generator, maybe?

I recall warnings about resistorless spark plugs causing whine on AM, but that goes back a while.

I also think lack of shielding in my Prius causes radio interference, but I almost never switch to AM so it's no big deal.

If FM was affected, I'd be at the dealer every day until it was fixed...

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Does the rattle/static come from all speakers or one? I'm asking that as I had a rattle coming from the passenger's door which turned out to be a pair of chopsticks sitting in the pocket.

8. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seeh2o @ Mar 31 2006, 01:15 PM) [snapback]233021[/snapback]</div>
    Motor/generators in the Prius.

When regen braking occurs, current will be drawn from the M/Gs therefore creating electro-magnetic fields (interference). I hear a very low volume high pitch noise from the radio (mostly AM) when I brake too. But doesn't bother me enough to bring it to the dealer.

9. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I wonder... I have a seemingly similar problem in my '04, non-JBL

It only occurs with CD's though.

After about an hour of continuous use, I'll get a:

sktch
    sktch
    sktch
    sktch
    sktch

noise, making CD use unbearable. It seems like it happens when the head unit gets hot after continued use, or if the cabin is unusually hot, it expresses itself earlier.

Probably isn't related, but who knows...

10. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No it comes from all the speakers.
    The more bass the voice has the more it buzzes.
    I have yet to try voice audio from a CD.
    That is a thought too.
    Music it is fine.
    The closest I can relate the sound to is if the sound output from your computer is cranked up AND the speakers are cranked up. You get that cut out/crackle because of too much gain.

But what gets me is one place keeps ignoring me and the other dealer in town says because I listen to talk and most people don't listen to talk it is my problem and I have to pay for it to be fixed.

11. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlphaTeam @ Mar 31 2006, 03:34 PM) [snapback]233086[/snapback]</div>
    You might want to file a complain with Toyota Customer experience center.

12. kurtrush

kurtrush New Member

I'm having a similar problem with the Sirius receiver installed in my 2006 Prius and my AUX input. I have tried two Sirius receivers and two antennas and two behind-the-dash Toyota cable assemblies with no improvement. I get the noise at certain frequencies and sound levels so it is not noticeable all the time. This is with the car ON or in accessory only mode so it is not interference. It is worse with talk or songs with low pitched vocals. When I do hear it, it sounds like small rocks popping around in my speakers. I have not tried AM but I’ve noticed that I get the same noise through the AUX input between the front seats. If I play a CD in the dash CD player; no noise. If I play the same CD in an external CD player with the audio plugged into the AUX input; same noise that I get on Sirius. If I unplug the satellite receiver, I still get the same noise on the AUX input so the Sirius receiver is not the problem. I’ve heard that some 2006’s have this problem and some don’t. If anyone has any more info or a solution, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Kurt

13. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hmmm, getting a buzz w/o gettin high..:D

I have noticed a similar whine on the am side, but I have sirus and I dont listen to free FCC regulated radio any more...