1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radio Removal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MrU, Jul 22, 2004.

1. MrU

MrU New Member

I have the Roady XM radio and thoroughly enjoy it. I also like the fact that I can disconnect it from the car and connect it to my home stereo.

I have it connected up with a FM Modulator at the present time but this does not do the XM radio justice.

I want to connect the PIE # TOY03-AUX cable, which will convert the 12-pin CD-Changer port of the radio to an Auxiliary/RCA input. This will allow me to connect my XM directly to the car stereo via the PIE part # 3.5/RCA-6MM cable.

I am looking for directions(w/photos) on disassemble of the dash to access the rear of the radio to connect these cables up. I am aware the I can purchase the procedures on DVD, but I am a bit of a cheapskate. I have seen these procedures in the past but not that I need them, I can not locate.

Can anyone help?

MrU
    04 Prius, White #7

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'd start by taking a look in some of the XM Radio threads here in the A&E forum - I believe that's where the steps to dismantle the dash were listed. If not, check out the thread about the Speed Sensor defeat.

3. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  4. beerbee12

beerbee12 New Member

I can confirm it will not work.

Soundgate was advertising that their AUXTOY01 would work in the 2004 Prius, and I ended up ordering one as well as a PIE TOY-AUX03 for my Sienna. (PIE has always specified that their product would NOT work in the Prius.) However, when I tried installing the AUXTOY01 in my Prius it would eliminate the output from ALL audio sources (AM, FM, CD). I figured I might as well try the PIE adapter while I had the dash apart, and it showed the same behavior. I ended up e-mailing Soundgate about their product, and their response was that the 04 Prius is completely different from the rest of the Toyotas and is not supported by their interfaces.

Oh well, back to waiting for Coastal Dave or Jon to develop a Prius-specific interface.

As far as disassembling the dash, for future reference, I believe that the instructions for installing an EV button, located in the files section, gives a lot of the information you need. I also did a one-day subscription to techinfo.toyota.com ($10) and downloaded sections of the repair manual related to removing the radio.

5. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Does anyone know if these technical paid downloads are prohibited from being distributed to others? If a lot of us did the one-day subscription, downloaded a particular topic of general interest and then posted it in the files library, we'd probably get the whole manual pretty quickly for a personal $10 investment. Just a thought...

6. brettray

brettray New Member

I have already done the one day login. I have all the wiring diagrams downloaded as well as some of the other stuff. I would post them if I thought it was legal.

I won't post them but PM me if you want me to email the wiring diagrams.