1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radio turns off for a few seconds ... electric pump noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Richard2005, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Richard2005

Richard2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi .. I'm new to this forum .. I have owned my Gen 2 Prius since 2006 (143k on clock) with no problems except some failed cells in the HV battery. However I now have a strange problem that has just started over the last couple of days.

When driving with the AM radio on, all of a sudden the radio goes dead and there is an electric motor sound. It sounds a bit like the coolant pump but it may be inside the cabin. Then after a few seconds the motor noise stops and the normal radio instantly resumes.

I have the base level radio with a single CD player and no CD stacker.

Has anyone come across these symptoms ? Thanks

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    That sounds like a source of radio interference. It may be generated by your Prius or externally. Tune to a strong AM signal and see if it improves. Other possibilities are a loose ground connection (very hard to find) or a loose antenna connection ether at the antenna or where the cable attaches at the rear of the radio.

I suffered for a long time with poor AM reception in my 2004 Prius, It is now fixed since I bought a 2016 Prius. :)

JeffD

3. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Expensive fix. :eek::)

4. Richard2005

Richard2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been away for 2 days and now my wife has advised that its;

1. Still happening with the radio on
    2. Now happening without the radio on
    3. Seems to happen when car is going down hill
    4. Does not effect the cars performance

So I took it for a drive and confirmed the above. I then decided to see if it would occur when playing a CD. But the CD would not insert. Then I looked closely and saw the small edge of a coin just visible between the foam sleeves of the CD player slot. I had to remove the radio to get the coin out.

In summary the coin was causing the CD auto feed to think that a CD was being inserted. The noise I could hear was the CD unit trying to unsuccessfully load 'the coin'. This also explain why the radio turned off .. because that is what happens when you insert a CD.

I'm just not sure which kid did this .. but I'm hoping it was the youngest !!!

Being able to show my wife that it was not the fault of the very reliable but ageing Prius was a bonus :)

Thanks for your help.

5. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There are still some things that can't get fixed over the internet. Imagine if someone had advised you to look for coins in the CD player.

Glad it worked out okay.