1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rain and ICE?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by gpb5200, Mar 2, 2007.

1. gpb5200

gpb5200 New Member

It rained hard, to say the least, here in Rhode Island today. On my way home from work today, I could not get the ICE to cut out at low speed no matter how gently I pressed the gas pedal. I finally gave up trying. Anyone have input on this? No problems yesterday in dry conditions. 70mpg on yesterday's trip, 56 today.

Thanks in advance for advice, tips, answers.

2. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gpb5200 @ Mar 2 2007, 05:03 PM) [snapback]399271[/snapback]</div>
    How long is your commute? What kind of speeds are you usually doing?

3. gpb5200

gpb5200 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Mar 2 2007, 05:56 PM) [snapback]399297[/snapback]</div>
    The commute is 13 miles, one way. The return trip, during which I achieved 70mpg yesterday, starts at 550 feet elevation and finishes at 40 feet elevation. With all the hills, especially the first 1/2 of the return trip, I climb a total of 600 feet, but descend a total of 1060 feet. The second half of the return trip is much more gradual downhills, rather than the roller coaster of the first half. Yesterday, keeping my speed around 40 mph on the more gradual descending stretch, and under 30 in the residential stretch on my approach home (just over a mile) I was able to either run mostly on battery power, glide, or regenerate. Today, trying to use the same speeds, the ICE just would not shut off. I had even inflated the tires to 42/40 and blocked the grill last night. Even in teh residential stretch, every time I tapped the gas, the ICE kicked in. This is what led me to the rain theory.

4. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I drove through that today, too, but didn't have any problems with the ICE not shutting down. Did you have the defroster on? I find that a high cabin heat setting or running the defroster will significantly increase the amount of ICE run time for the first 10-11 miles of a trip.