1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rain barrel advice

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Froley1, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Froley1

Froley1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    hello all,
    I've had rain barrels for about a year but have not really obtained the most efficent usage from them---living in new mexico water conservation and a small independent water supply is important to me...after moving into a smaller place i am putting up rain gutters--specific to my barrels and setting up a more logical system to use my recovered water... I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions i might implement while i am constructing the system...i was wondering about building a small brick/wood platform beneath the barrels to elevate them for more water pressure when i use them---etc.
    thanks in advance for any tips
    Froley

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Apparently you can't really run any kinda sprinkler system with barrels because you can't reasonably get the pressure you need. Other than that it sounds like a good idea. Do you have a mechanism to getting out the silt? Or are you just gonna clean them out at the end of the season?

3. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I always wondered why you couldn't close off the barrel when you want it for yard water usage, then have an air compressor connected to the barrel somehow, turn it on and then you have pressure at the top, pushing down.

Basically just have a closed barrel, create a hole you can close, for rain water, a valve you can connect to an air compressor, and there you go a pressurized container of water.

4. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    That's a pretty neat concept, and I may yet try one like that. I think in an earlier thread somebody suggested a 12v pump with a solar panel.

Implementation wouldl depend on the particular situation. Rain barrels on gutter downspouts can collect a truly impressive amount of debris. On my last house, I "plumbed" the downspouts to the barrels. A closed system from gutter to outlet. And with a pine tree next to the house, basically I couldn't put anything between the gutter and the barrel or it would get clogged. Not even a screen to catch the debris. No way I could have made a valve work on that. On my current house, I haven't set the new barrels up yet, but this time I'm going to cut a great big circle in the barrel top, glue screening onto that, and just dump the downspout out onto the barrel top. That would prevent me from pressurizing that barrel but not the ones plumbed to that collection barrel. Anyway, that way I can just periodically brush off the debris from a large collecting surface. Plus, with a large opening up top, I can put in a real bulkhead fitting for the outlet (like a nut-and-bolt) instead of mickey-mousing a hose barb fitting threaded and glued into the plastic near the bottom of the barrel (like a bolt with no nut).

I think it's worth elevating the barrels just enough to be able to fill a watering can from the bottom of the barrel. A cinder block's worth. Won't make enough difference in the pressure to matter, but it allows you to get all the water out of the barrel. The only exception is if you happen to have a place to put the barrel that's quite elevated. One of mine sat on a concrete front stoop and filling cans at ground level from that barrel went much faster than filling from my other barrels.

5. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I raise them up on concrete blocks, about 2-3' off the ground, then hook them up to a soaker hose.
    will try for a picture later today

6. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We put blocks under ours to make it easier to drain (Home Depot)

Of course, we've had ours for about 3 weeks and so far it hasn't gone more than 2-3 days in that time without raining!!!!:fish2:

7. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    here we go.
    one of my unfinished summer projects is to add another concrete block and raise them up a bit more.

rain barrels.jpg

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I like that idea.

I've got a bunch of red brick left over from when the patios were done. I can see making something a little sturdier and aesthetically pleasing with the brick. And that solves the problem of how to drain the water out and use it. I like the idea of a soaker hose.

9. nosliw

nosliw New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i'd suggest securing them to the wall somehow. that thing full of water could kill a kid or pet if it tipped.

10. Froley1

Froley1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    thanks all
    love the cinder block idea---it is sort of what i had in mind since i'll be using to soak some recently planted trees/flower beds within reach and to fill watering cans, dog bowls and the like and i wanted to place them up alittle bit -- i appreciate the extra evidence on raising the barrels being a viable circumstance--the barrels i have are the commerical green ones with screen lids, hose outlets with shut offs and overflow ports---i clean them out with a broom when they get close to empty---i'll have nearby porch posts to secure them to and thanks for that idea, i never thought of the falling over thing---no kids but 2 boston terriers that are our kids so i appreciate and will steal that idea...i'm just trying to set up a system this time rather than the way i worked the barrels before which was catch as catch can...
    many thanks
    Froley

11. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    on top of the concrete blocks I have a large square piece of concrete - 15" - large flat surface - that helps stabilize them ; plus they're about 475 pounds full - quite stable

but maybe a few anchor bolts into the concrete wouldn't be a bad idea.

these were originally dr. pepper syrup barrels - i found a local junk dealer on ebay selling them for $5 each. some paint and spigots, and you're good to go.

another project - hook up the other 8 i still haven't painted and attached to downspouts ;)

i have a slight downslope from the barrels to the garden - i run a 50' hose - then attach to a 75' sprinker hose. they empty overnight ; works great, the flowers love it. i have some of those quick connect hose fittings ; that simplifys things.
    it just doesn't rain much this time of year ;)

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not use a rain water tank?
    I wouldn't even bother with a 200 litre drum for water. I have a 1000 litre tank which is too small.
    [​IMG] Rain Water Tanks for Suburban Living; Houses, Flats & Units
    If I get a new tank it will be at least 5000 litres but I'd prefer 10,000 litres.

It is also a good idea to use a leaf trap
    [​IMG] and insect screens.

To use rain water to irrigate use leaky hose or drippers.
    Use drippers to apply the water, ensure they are suited to gravity feed.
    Toro Australia : Flexi Drip#

13. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Actually, in NM all of this sort of thing could be illegal. In Colorado people have gotten into trouble for capturing rain water. In fact, there was an article in today's Denver Post (an editorial) about it. In Colorado, your roof is considered to be a tributary of some stream and therefore, you must return 100% of the water you store to senior appropriators on that water system. The entire thing is absolute bollocks, but that's the way the law currently works in CO. NM may or may not have a similar interpretation. So before you get too extravagant (i.e go above the radar of people who might care) it would behoove you to familiarize yourself with your state's water appropriation law.

14. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here's the link to the article if anyone's interested:

Can you own the rain?

15. Froley1

Froley1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This poor persons situtation borders on governmental interference insanity
    in my humble opinion anyway
    Froley

16. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Raising the barrel to increase pressure won't work too well. Pressure will only increase ~.4psi per foot of elevation. High enough for real pressure would be higher than the gutters.

Use drip irrigation, or a solar pump.

Icarus

17. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sewerage districts in many areas of the country offer rain barrels at a huge savings over retail. Milwaukee sells them for $30 each, might be worth a phone call for those of you in larger metro areas.

Dan.

18. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Which it's crazy ain't it? Check out NM's water law though just to be safe. Western water law is old and it's fundamentals predate much of what we now understand about watersheds, ground water, and groundwater/surface water interations.

19. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Froley, I thought you might be interested in this Bioneers podcast I have stored on my web storage page. The files are clean and been downloaded by PC members before. It is rather long but if you download it you can skim to the stuff that interests you. It talk about rainwater harvesting on large and small scales. It's really amazing what this guy has done. I think some of you would enjoy it. Well those who have not heard it yet anyway. :)

Bioneers - WaterShed Literacy (right-click and download for best results)

20. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    And I thought California was weird.

Okay. Kris' first mistake was for applying for water rights. She should have just put up some rain barrels.

Second. When Kris' uses the water she collects to water her plants, it goes into the ground and makes it's way to the river. The amount she uses won't show up on anyone's radar. They'd never be able to prove exactly how much water her plants are soaking up.

The entire thing is totally stupid.

She ought to put up a green roof, cover her house with sod. Then we'll see how much rain makes it's way down to the San Miguel River.