1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rain in car: harmful to battery or speaker?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by amberlea, Oct 25, 2010.

1. amberlea

amberlea Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So my window was left partially down today and it poured down rain! The window that was down was the passenger side rear window. The handle on the door was full of standing water and my seats and floor mat were pretty soaked.
    The speaker at the top of the door had water in it and I can't get it out by just wiping the cover-- is there an easy way to take this off and try to make sure everything is OK?
    The vent for the batteries got lots of water in it too-- does anyone know if this is dangerous?
    Also, it's my first time with leather seats and I don't know how the water will affect them. Anything special I need to do?

I wiped up and soaked up everything I could with towels but still worry about the lasting damage it could have. Any suggestions?

2. fmi

fmi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would have taken the door panel off, wipe every thing down, and even air dry the area with a hair dryer. If moisture gets to sit around it can lead to corrosion.

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Go to your local crash repairer and ask them to put the car in the baking oven for a few hours to dry it out. There may be a small charge but it will dry out the inside of the car.

4. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And then there's possible mold issues if a lot of rain got into the carpets.

5. firehawk00

firehawk00 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The same thing happened to me except the window was completely open when it poured (same passenger side rear window). I soaked up everything I could with a towel then took the car to a local carwash and vacuumed the carpet dry. We were still having 100 degree days where I live so a few days with the windows up and slightly cracked took care of the rest (plus my car is black). It’s been close to three months and 10k miles since and all seems normal, the climate down here is very dry so I’m not too concerned about mold and corrosion.

6. amberlea

amberlea Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks everyone!