1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rain Sensing Wipers Install

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by nmrickie, Oct 7, 2007.

1. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I missed having rain sensing wipers -- once you have them, it's hard to go back. It may not seem like much, but it really makes a difference!

This is the unit I installed: http://www.raintracker.com/ProductInfo.htm

The system works well in light rain, much like intermittent wipers, but only wipes when you need them (eliminating the need to constantly adjust the intermittent frequency). In heavier rain, it will go from slow to fast as needed. It's realy nice when you pass a truck in the rain -- the system will go into fast mode while the truck sprays water on you, then return to regular speed once you pass.

The sensor is mounted to the inside of the windshield and detects rain by ultraviolet light. When rain hits the windshield, it scatters the light. I'm no techie but it somehow senses the amount and intensity of the rain and adjusts the wipers accordingly.

I was a little skeptical about an add-on unit, but it actually works as well as the one that came with my Caddillac (one of the few features that actually worked well). For $149, I don't know why all cars do not come with this feature. I also installed one in my mother's Nissan.

The installation was fairly straightforward. The sensor is attached to the inside of the windshield in the track of the wipers, preferably right under the rear-view mirror (when you're driving the mirror blocks it and you cannot see it). An alcohol swab is included to clean the mounting surface before attaching.

The wiring for the sensor is run behind the headliner, down inside the pillar trim and into the dash (you have to remove the pillar trim and trim around the steering wheel). A wiring harness connects to the wiper wires (identified by color) using crimp connectors and butt splices. The harness and sensor wiring snaps into the module. The module fits under the dash. Then a single pole switch (included) is connected to the module and installed in the dash to turn the unit off and on.

There's not much room under the dash and I found the wiper wires a little difficult to access. I ended up tapping into them where they came out from behind the steering wheel. I took the tape off the wires coming from the steering wheel, tapped into the wires, then taped the wires back together. The rest of the wires, as well as the module, were securely fastened so that nothing would rattle.

You retain the normal wiper controls on the steering wheel. When the switch is on, the unit is working and the normal wiper controls still function (this is handy if you need to use the washer). When it's not raining it's best to have the unit off -- it could come on unintentionally in a car wash or when a juicy bug hits the windshield in front of the sensor, since it detects moisture.

You can buy extra couplers in case you need to replace the windshield.

You can also purchase a separate switch that adjusts the sensitivity. I did not do so because, knowing me, I would always be messing with it. I find the default settings to be satisfactory, though they can be modified on the module (but not while driving --- it's under the dash).

You can mount the switch pretty much anywhere, but you have to drill a hole in the dash. I decided I did not want to do this. Instead, I purchased a single pole switch at Radio Shack that has a mounting bracket so it can be mounted at the bottom of the dash. I ran the wire though one of the extra slots next to the switch that deactivates the SKS located under the steering wheel, and mounted the bracket and switch right in front of it. It's not the most handy location (you have to feel for it under the steering wheel), but I preferred not to drill a hole in the dash. Plus I can take the unit out if I get rid of the car.

There's an example of an installation, with pictures, on the web site.

I found this unit works perfectly 95% of the time. Every once in a while if the rain drops are not close together, one will not land in front of the sensor. If I find this annoying, I simply give the wipers a swipe manually. Also, if a vehicle in front of you is spraying more dirt than rain, it is not sensitive enough (I imagine the optional sensivitiy switch would help in this situation). So you still have to use the washer function every once in a while.

What is nice is that, when you do use the washer function, the wipers will keep wiping until all the water is gone (assuming water is in front of the sensor).

For $149 and a couple of hour's worth of work, this is one of my favorite mods. When I first got it I would drive around in the rain for no other reason than to see the unit work!

If you're not comfortable with removing trim pieces, drilling holes and tapping into wiring, this mod is not for you. Even if you are comfortable, do so at your own risk. If you're paranoid about voiding the warranty, this mod is not for you.

For me, these little add-ons make me enjoy my Prius even more.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sweet, nice to know it works. I remember seeing that product a few years ago but haven't heard anyone here using it.

3. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the info. It does seem really cool. I always wondered how those sensors detected the rain.

4. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nmrickie @ Oct 7 2007, 03:14 PM) [snapback]522483[/snapback]</div>
    Do you know how much UV light it beams out? Any indications that any of the UV gets reflected back into the car?

5. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboJones @ Oct 8 2007, 08:01 PM) [snapback]522904[/snapback]</div>
    Uh, do not know. But other than my son turning into a lizard-boy/mutant, it seems to work fine. :p