1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rain...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by molgrips, Jul 31, 2006.

1. molgrips

molgrips Member

So I drove from Cardiff to Swansea on Saturday. The journey is all motorway at 70mph, a little hilly but both places are at sea level. I had the CC on 70mph all the way. On the way there I got 62mpg, which is good, but on the way back it was raining and my combined average dropped to 56.6mpg. This must mean I got like 51.2mpg on the way back. It wasn't windy btw.

It wasn't raining really hard, but there was plenty of spray around. I'm wondering if the thin skin of water on the tarmac really has that huge effect on mpg? Of course, the number of raindrops in the air that you hit at 70mph would provide a retarding force.. I wonder how strong it would be?

Anyone else notice this? My (American) wife swears that they don't have so much spray on US roads - she seems to think they drain better.

2. c4

c4 Active Member

More likely, the way there was slightly downhill, accounting for the better mileage, but that also means that the way back is then uphill, accounting for poorer mileage.. My experience driving in the rain is that unless it's a downpour with accompanying high winds, it doesn't make a huge difference to mileage, certainly not 10mpg worth.. Alternatively, if you had the A/C on to defog the windows while driving back, that could account for the additional fuel usage- I find that the Prius is quite bad for fogging up the windows in damp conditions.. I absolutely have to run the A/C to keep the windshield clear, whereas on my old Corolla, opening the outside vent while the ducts were set to defog was generally enough, and if not, opening a window a crack would allow enough outside air in to keep the windows clear.. Not so with the Prius..

My vote is for the road though- even if the road looks flat, there are always some slight inclines and the car is quite sensitive to these.. I drive about 30 km to work every day and the way there, my mileage is always about 2-4 mpg worse than coming back home, even though I'm just travelling the relatively flat terrain of the city..

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'd concur, odds are it's not the rain. For the first month or so i owned my prius, I mostly drove it in the rain (walked or rode my bike when it was nice out). Since then, i've started driving it more (moved, don't think i could do the commute on bike and live to tell about it :-p), and haven't noticed much, if any, increase in mileage.

4. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Air Resistance will be greater, but not a huge factor, however Water on the pavement can have a huge impact on Rolling Resistance. The car has to mechanically displace the water. If it's actually kicking up spay, that's a lot of energy.

As my winter mileage can attest, the only thing worse is Slush :)

5. Dion

Dion New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Had my Prius for two years. Rain makes a huge difference in my mileage. 5-10mpg. It's the resistance. Does the same with other cars, you just can't see it on the screen.

6. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Jul 31 2006, 08:19 AM) [snapback]295025[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure about other states but here in CA we have slots cut into the concrete freeways to specifically reduce hydroplaning, which I'm assuming will reduce spray as well. And CalTrans is constantly testing to increase drainage, traction, wear, etc.

7. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dion @ Jul 31 2006, 07:51 AM) [snapback]295080[/snapback]</div>
    I've gotten terrible mileage in very heavy rain, like 38-39mpg on the freeway where I'd normally get 45mpg or higher. The drop was so large I initially thought something might be wrong with the car. I thought that higher rolling resistance could be a factor, but did not think it could cause that much of a drop. I didn't have any other explanation though, so it's nice to hear that others have had similar experiences.

8. theorist

theorist Member

I've witnessed the higher rolling and 'wind' resistance in rain most vividly when coasting. I'll often coast our Elantra down a long 2 mile hill in neutral and then keep coasting nearly another mile to a stop light. I've seen differences with tire pressures and windows down, but the greatest friction comes from rain, even a drizzle with wet roads. When it's coming down hard, it's not worth trying to coast.

I've found the resistance from wet roads is greatest with worn or less highly inflated tires.

9. molgrips

molgrips Member

Like I said both places are at sea level, so no net gain or loss in altitude. The road is flatter at the Swansea end, but otherwise it's just long ish ups and downs, very regular.

Yep. We have the A/C running most of the time, and was running both legs of the trip. When it's 15 outside and 23 inside the car though, I can't imagine it's working too hard just to dehumidify the air...?

10. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another consideration is the humidy during a rainstorm. Water vapor replaces air in the intake and performance drops off so you push the pedal further when the ICE is running to achieve the same performance..

Danny3xd likes this.
  11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Jul 31 2006, 08:19 AM) [snapback]295025[/snapback]</div>
    I've been meaning to address this thread and just keep forgetting. I wanted to give you some solid numbers on the affect of ran and even mild quarting winds. But basicly a 5 mph quartering wind alone could easily account for the affect you saw on your gas mileage. 62mpg is higher than one would expect and 51 is lower with 55-56 being about what I'd normally expect.

If the suspected quartering wind was only 2-3mph (almost to mild to feel) plus the affect of the rain that could very easily account for the changes you saw.

I can give you some solid numbers if you tell me what the average speed is for the route you took, what tires and pressure you use and any additional info you might have (barometric pressure, temp, AC setting, number of people or total weight in the car, elevation above sea level, etc).