1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Raised inverter to access coolant control valve and.. UH OH!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Subetha73, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Subetha73

Subetha73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So, I had heat problems. Bought a new coolant control valve. Removed the two front bolts on the inverter and raised it a couple of inches to access the valve. Lowered it back into place and now I have the red warning light on, and a reader says "lost communication with the ECM/PCM". What did I do? I am guessing that raising the inverter busted a wire that is connected to the module? What should I do to diagnose this? Thanks! :)

2. Subetha73

Subetha73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    More on this car. I recently bought it and one of the issues was it is missing the driver's side fender cover. So, water and dirt have been getting up into that area for years. I am worried that the connections to the inverter are rusty, crusty, old. Hence wiggling the inverter broke something? Thanks again for any help. I am out of my league with diagnosing this. (fixed a bunch of other stuff tho!)

3. Subetha73

Subetha73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    FIXED IT! I jiggled a couple of the connectors and the problem cleared up. Now I am terrified to even finish swapping out the coolant control valve.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It might be worthwhile to take a deep breath, go back to the connectors that were better after wiggling, disconnect them completely :eek:, and reconnect them again. Two or three times. Maybe applying some contact cleaner into the bargain. Often just the unplug/replug will clean up the contacts some.

That may leave you more confident down the road than you're going to be if you have just backed timidly away from your wiggled connectors hoping they stay ok.

If a wire breaks in the process, well, that's a more tedious repair, but again, it feels good to have fixed it.

Jo-Jo Joseph Mims and Subetha73 like this.
  5. Subetha73

Subetha73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Will do! Thanks, ChapmanF