1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ramblings about the trunk...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by longjohn931, Jul 16, 2005.

1. longjohn931

longjohn931 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have read numerous posts with questions about the trunk space, by perspective buyers, with replys ranging from fine to limited to removing false floor, etc. I don't know about the 03's and earlier, but the 04 & 05's are hatchbacks, without "trunks" but accessible storage areas beneath the rear deck. I have found the only benefit to a trunk is concealed storage, limited storage at that, depending on the vehicle.
    Through my 40+ years of vehicle ownership, I have owned sedans, convertibles, sports cars, station wagons, vans and suvs, but never a hatchback. Today I found just how useful they are.

A week ago, had to take my push lawnmower in for service, so loaded it in the Expedition and dropped it off, not a problem. Shortly thereafter, my wife took the SUV, loaded up the family and a couple of friends, for a weeks visit to relatives in PA. Today the shop called saying the mower was ready. Being the good husband that I am, I thought I would pick it up so it would be ready, for her, when she returned.
    As the Prius is still new, (3 mo. 2600 mi) I still baby it and elected to use my work car, a 1995 Merc. Sable, with a limited storage "trunk", figuring I could collapse the handle and bungee the trunk lid closed for the short trip.
    Best made plans? Never happened! No matter how we tried, the mower would not fit down into the Sable's trunk.
    Now time to reluctantly christen the Prii.
    I folded down the seat backs, laid a tarp down to protect the deck from any oil drippings and took a couple of bricks and bungees to block and secure once loaded. Drove back to the shop, where we collapsed the mowers handle, lifted it into the rear, secured it, checked all the inside clearances, closed the hatchback and brought it home.
    My point here is how much utility the hatchback offers over a trunk, and anyone considering buying one should add the hatchback design to the positive side. If you need concealed storage, throw a blanket over it.

2. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

Wow the best part of that story was that you went to get the mower so it would be READY for your WIFE on HER return! How did you ever train her to mow the lawn.

3. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I do find the hatchback very useful. My only complaint is that the rear spoiler blocks my rear view, but I'm already adjusting to it.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. I like hatchbacks. Specifically, liftback designs like ours and the Saab 900/9-3. The other hatchbacks are ok (e.g. Civic, P5, Mazda3 Sport etc). They do have a makeshift parcel shelf but often are just cardboard held by string to the tailgate.