1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ramifications of the new 10k oil change interval on dealers' service prices

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 32kcolors, Jan 13, 2010.

1. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Currently the new 10k oil change interval affects a very small percentage of all vehicles being serviced, but as more cars switch over to 0W-20 synthetics I expect dealers' service prices to increase significantly as they attempt to make up for loss revenue as a result of customers only bringing their cars in every 10k miles/1 year. My local dealer is offering 5k service for $48.88 (down from $79.95 for the time being) and 30k service for $149.95, plus a $15 surcharge for the synthetic oil. $165 for every 30k miles service is already a rip-off given the only difference between it and the every 5k miles service is the addition of engine air filter.

Pretty soon we'll be paying Lexus price to service our Toyotas.

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't believe prices would rise but as demand falls I would expect shops to close. In order to attract a diminishing customer base dealers have printed coupons to bring their prices in line with indy shops.

3. risingsun

risingsun seeker of the way

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Anyone worried about the cost or frequency of oil changes should honestly spend a small amount of money, buy a few tools and some inexpensive equipment, and educate themselves how to change their own oil. It's really quite easy, and it will save you a bundle over the life of the car with what I keep hearing dealers are charging. Additionally, you can take pride in saying "I change my own oil." Men are impressed by women that can do this, and women are grateful for men that can do it. A little know-how about your car can never be a bad thing, right? There are dozens of people on this forum who would be more than happy to help walk you through it if you run into any trouble as well during the process.

4. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    I had always changed my own oil but stopped when the Lincoln Mercury dealers that I used for warranty work started routinely promoting loss leader prices to keep me out of the clutches of Jiffy Lube (although I would NEVER let my car darken their doors and have both personal and friends experiences to support my not using them).

The coupons and specials they provided made it silly to buy the oil and filters and spend the time to change my own oil.

I have not seen Toyota dealers do that yet, but this is a new era and maybe they will come around.