1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ran Out of Gas Today

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by K5VMI, Mar 1, 2006.

1. K5VMI

K5VMI New Member

Well, you guys are right. When the bar blinks, fill it up. On my commute home from work, I got the blinks and had about 30 miles to go to my favorite gas station. Surely, that is only 2/3 of a gallon, and I HAVE to have that much in the tank. At 20 miles I found out what a large red triangle with an exclaimation point means on my dash. Batteries are GREAT. Four miles on super EV mode to the closest hole-in-the-wall gas station did the trick. I've learned my lesson. :unsure:

Craig

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh man, not the favorite gas station! I am so sorry. I promise to learn from this!

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    If memory serves the fewest miles reported, blink to engine stop, was 6. The greatest was about 120. The range of uncertainty seems large.

Potential risks include damage to the HV battery by driving it near empty in EV mode, and damage to the fuel-cooled electric fuel pump. Prius is more capable than conventional vehicles in a fuel exhaustion event, but not without risks. Make smart choices my friends, as you did when you bought the car.

K5VMI, 4 EV miles is longer than we usually hear. I suppose that you were on a downhill stretch.

4. K5VMI

K5VMI New Member

An initial uphill to go over a two story overpass and then downhill from there. Thanks for the sage advice.

Craig

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ooof! your HV battery is not happy with you. you must appease it by never running out of gas again. ;)

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I started blinking this morning and I'm SO ticked off!

I filled up about three weeks ago at $2.17 and was darned glad. The price continued to drop bottoming at $2.09. Of course, at that point I had half a tank. Now that I need gas again, it's up to $2.33. [​IMG]