1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ran Out of Gas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jendbbay, Jan 5, 2007.

1. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

My husband ran it out on the way home last night. He claims that he just doesn't look at the gas guage? Is this possible? He is unfamiliar with how it looks, so he ignores it? He was obliviously driving home, up fairly steep and winding Hwy 17, which has no safe shoulders unless one is lucky enough to be near a turnout.

The Prius suddenly lost power -- and the speed cut back to around 40 MPG from 60 to 65. He should be keeping it at 50 max on that hill, by the way.

Having no desire to pull to the side and risk being slammed into by drivers who suddenly come around the corner from behind, he kept right on driving. He managed to go a couple of miles or so before he arrived at the restaurant parking lot atop the summit. From there, he called me.

Vaguely recalled horror stories about running the Prius out of gas shot through my brain. I got online here, but could not find the post-a-new-thread button. To date, I have replied on existing threads a few times, but that's it.

I sent a message to an online user and added my plea for assistance to the end of an existing thread about how to get gas into the Prius. I wanted to know what the basis for the vague horror stores actually was.

Finally, I left to rescue him. I picked up to plastic containers of gas for a total of about 2.5 gallons, at a cost of about 27 dollars and arrived at his side in about 45 minutes or so after receiving the call.

He was napping, cofident in the assumption that I would send/bring help.

We struggled with the actual mechanics of the 10-dollar gas containers, and there was a bit of disturbing dribbling and spraying back out as he added the gas, but the subsequent attempts to start the car went much better. The first attempt to power up, left us unable to get it into reverse. The second try worked perfectly. He powered up and the motor started right up, with the display warning that fuel should be added! Off he went to the gas station.

So, the range of the tank appears to have been 447. What I would like to know is how much gas he added at the station after we added the 2.5 gallons in the parking lot. Of course, we don't know that. He can't remember how much he pumped in, and he didn't get the receipt! That would be interesting info in general, so that we can understand the practical rather than theoretical range of a tank. I know it supposedly holds 12 gallons, but we don't top off or otherwise attempt to squeeze the maximum amount we can into the bladder.

Rather, we usually go for gas when there are 2 or 3 bricks left, and we fill until the pump clicks off the first time. We usually add between 5 and 8 gallons. According to the MPG readout, we get 45 MPG overall. Calculated milleage is a bit better. Of course when I drive it, I have gotten amazing single trip numbers, such as 63, and one 5-minute reading of 99!

We have had the car since October and have about 3500 miles on it so far. We would love to average 50, but I suspect my husband drives a bit too fast for that.

At any rate, sorry for posting in the wrong place and sorry if this is an incredibly boring valueless post. I just thought I'd start up a thread, just to see what others say about running these babies flat out of gas and about finsihing them off by driving mostly up hill for a couple more miles to a safe spot, and about whatever else comes to mind.

jen

2. gge5

gge5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just bought a new Prius and haven't had to fill it up yet. I've read stories similar to yours about running out of gas unexpectedly. The great thing is that he could keep driving after running out of gas. That's very good he got to a safe place to call you from!

I've been thinking about keeping a spare gallon of gas under the rear floor with the tire-iron (finding a tank that's thin enough will be difficult though). Apparently gas goes bad after 6-12 months though. I'm sure I'll be more in touch with the variability of the tank once I fill it up a few times though.

Alan

3. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's NOT great that you can keep driving after running out. That's what makes people think that they can KEEP DRIVING AFTER THEY RUN OUT OF GAS!

Which is something you absolutely should not do. You can kill your battery by doing that, and you'll also void your battery's warranty if it's killed that way.

There's nothing unexpected about running out of gas. There's a gauge that warns you when you still have 100+ miles worth of gas in the tank, and there's your brain, which can easily calculate roughly how many miles you should expect on a single tank.

I say, if you've gone 300+ miles on a tank, that's enough and you can look for a gas station at your earliest convenience. If you keep that in mind, you'll be on the lookout for a station, but not in a rush to fill up. No need to keep extra gas inside the car. That's what the gas tank is for!

So Jen, tell your husband that I said he's a dolt, and then take him out to the car and show him how the gas gauge works! Don't let your car run out of gas for goodness' sake!

4. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

5. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I thought the car was designed to prevent the battery from charging too high or too low. I've read things here that claim that, and yet other things that imply you've done damage to your battery if you keep driving on it after the ICE is out of the game. Either way, if it were me, I wouldn't worry too much if the car seems to be doing ok. After all, what else could you do? I suppose if the battery didn't seem to be holding a charge, you could take it in to the dealer.

While running out of gas is not a good idea, I tend to suspect (and hope) the computers and systems of the car would protect the battery. Having the ICE die from lack of fuel, or a fuel pump failure or other mechanical problem is not that unlikely of a possibility, and from what I can tell, they seemed to cover a lot of eventualities with the design of the Prius. I'd love to hear definitive info if someone has it. Maybe galaxee knows if anyone.

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    By prediction is that the hubby will need to be replaced way before the HV battery.

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, in his defense, the gauge can go from 3 to 2 to 1 to 1-flashing bar in a hurry...

But, since he didn't claim that's what happened, I'm not sure if this Prius eccentricity is at the center of the problem.

Honestly, I find myself wondering if perhaps your husband doesn't have quite the respect for the Prius (as an automobile) that you have? It's not for me to say, but based on your side of the story there is kind of a pattern of careless -- or should I say thoughtless -- behaviour on his part.

And, as someone fairly recently divorced, I can't help but wonder if he's not like this about other things, too...?

If that's the case...well...

But if he's only like this with the Prius, I'd think that it's still a topic worthy of discussion.

Seems to me there are two things going on:
    1. perceived disrespect for the car itself, which might be more irksome than anything, 'cause he's not hearing your opinions.
    2. thoughlessness when driving it, which can manifest itself in potentially costly damage to an expensive piece of property, which will *directly* influence both of you (assuming your finances are shared, of course).

Both are valid, but you might have more luck explaining the second, since it's easy to quantify and not nearly as personal as the first point.

Question: How does the mileage compare when you drive the car, versus when your husband drives? The reason I ask is that I'd be curious if he's not 'driving the wheels' off the poor little darling in other ways as well. If he's a fast driver with you in the car, he might be *jamming* when you're not.

For example, I wonder how many miles you'll get out of the tires...that may be another way to tell.

I'm letting my personal bias show now, but -- depending on the outcome of this situation -- you may be faced with jacking up your husband's nose hairs and driving a new man underneath. And, while you're at it, have them do something about those nose hairs!
    [wistful smile]

8. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Jan 5 2007, 03:51 PM) [snapback]371473[/snapback]</div>
    Running out of gas is not good, but I have to ask: Do you know this for a fact? I've not heard of anyone anywhere with a killed battery, much less a problem related to the battery after running out of gas. It seems like there are enough folks posting here about running out of gas that there would be at least one case of someone having to buy a new battery, and that would answer the question of how much does a new battery cost.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jan 5 2007, 04:57 PM) [snapback]371510[/snapback]</div>
    if only marriages came with an 8 year warranty. :)

9. Prius The First

Prius The First New Member

He claims that he just doesn't look at the gas guage?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on now. That is the first thing one should check when starting out.

10. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 5 2007, 02:02 PM) [snapback]371512[/snapback]</div>
    That's a good point, but this may be something that shortens the life of the battery so we may not know until later down the line.

11. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

12. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You know what, Jen? I wouldn't worry about this situation one bit.

First: Toyota did not build the Prius so that a driver can run out of fuel, and ruin the big battery by continuing on until the thing stops. It may not be a good thing to do, but it will not "ruin" the battery.

Second: If your car is under warranty, the battery will be replaced at no charge to you anyway.

Cheers!

derkraut

13. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeh... I wouldn't worry about the battery. Unless you keep trying to turn off the Prius after exhausting whatever charge you have left, you shouldn't worry about the battery life being shortened. There have been some reports of people having to manually charge the HV battery, but that's because they kept trying to turn on the Prius after it auto-stopped.

I've ran out of gas 3 times. No biggee.

14. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't mean this as an attack of any sort; sorry if it came across like that. Guess I'm not *totally* over things yet.

One would think that the car would be smart enough to protect itself...but from the tone of the posts here I'm not certain if that's completely true. I think that some folks have had the car run out of gas, then they drive on electric until the car comes to a stop, power off, power on again, go a bit more, stop, repeat...

Perhaps this is what actually causes the problems...?

Anything that takes the battery below its the normal range of charge can cause damage, the question is how much...and I honestly don't know.

You might want to try the search feature on this website, I know there are lots of threads on just this topic.

Symptoms of a damaged traction battery might include not being able to run 'electric only' as far as you usually would without the ICE coming on to recharge the battery (indicating diminished capacity, which is usually what happens to batteries when they extreme service). You might see a reduction in mileage, for the same reason.

Also, I'm quite familiar with 17; remember that the Prius isn't the best handling car out there (and the tires are small for a car of its size), so when the other cars are 8 over, to the Prius it may feel like more, capablility-wise. I trust you don't see the little skidding car icon on the dash coming on too frequently?

Oh gosh, my ex and I used to argue about stuff like this...only I was the one who wanted to drive faster. But I didn't, even though I felt quite certain that it was safe...because *HE* wasn't comfortable.

Sorry, I'm editorializing again, but isn't that what one does for a loved one?

Stepping down from soapbox now.

15. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm out of gas every moment that I drive our Rav4EV. And I just keep on driving like I haven't a care in the world. And I've driven the vehicle until it wouldn't drive any more. Then I've let it rest, restarted it and driven a few more miles. I've gone 135 miles past where I had no more gas. But I digress...

Same battery chemistry, a bit different configuration than the Prius. Please. Don't try driving 135 miles on Prius battery power... yet.

16. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jan 5 2007, 02:57 PM) [snapback]371537[/snapback]</div>

The Prius is smart enough to protect itself, but not against human stupidity. If you keep trying to turn the car back on again, it will first try to run the ICE to see if there's fuel going through the injectors. If it finds some then it will run the ICE with the load of charging up the HV battery. If there's no gas, it will just shut off again. If you keep trying to turn it on, you might roll a few feet, but you're just wearing out the HV battery.

When the Prius runs out of gas, and you drive it on EV until that runs out, for the love of hybrids, don't turn it back on again till there's some fuel in the tank!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jan 5 2007, 02:58 PM) [snapback]371538[/snapback]</div>

smug bastid... ;)

17. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

You did not come across as attacking at all! I'm just avoiding treacherous terrain, unless you want to take a hike on the beach and really get into this kind of stuff. Cars are so simple, and the Prius so brilliantly simple at that. So, for online and public purposes, I'll focus on that.

As for the interesting notion that he might have driven out of gas, failed over to battery, had that stop, turned the car back on again, eeked out a few more feet, repeated that! Wow! This goes beyond anything I have ever pondered. I'll have to ask him, just to be sure, but I don't think so!

Your comments about MPG and ability of the battery to take over as it used to, as often and as long, make perfect sense. I'll diagnose it that way.

Yeah, done that to some extent, and still am. It seems everyone gets to the brink of this issue and then it devolves into basically what we have here -- where people are not sure what actually goes worng under which circumstance. Actually, your suggestion about milleage and/or noticing changes in the normal operating pattern of the battery was the most specific I have seen.

I have never seen the skidding car icon on the dash! We are really pretty careful. I'll ask if he has. Once or twice I have performed panic stops -- stops which caused the antilock breaks to take over and which resulted from my not seeing pedestrians who were entering the far crosswalk in an intersection. During the peak of such stops, I may have also seen the skidding car icon, but I think that is the only time, and I'm not sure about that.

You say....Oh gosh, my ex and I used to argue about stuff like this...only I was the one who wanted to drive faster. But I didn't, even though I felt quite certain that it was safe...because *HE* wasn't comfortable.

Yes, this is a common one with us. It goes back and forth, between us somewhat evenly. He doesn't want to drive fast, really, but does want to use the fast lane, when I'm afraid he is going to get us killed -- by some aggressive jerk. I drive fast when we are in the middle of nowhere in a 70 MPH zone, where doing 80 is easy. He isn't comfortable with that. Then there are the scads of times when we ague about whether I was too close to the right, or whether I am creeping forward before its my turn to turn, and on and on. He is a real fuss budget in a way that makes it so hard for me to concentrate and hold on to an sense of confidence.

But wait, here we go, right into the out-of-bounds territory.

Let me know if you come down this way, we'll take a nice 4 mile walk on RDM beach. You'll love it.
    No need to apologize! I enjoyed your posts.

18. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

Update on what hubby did and didn't do with respect to first running out of gas, then driving solely on battery, and then stopping the car before the car actually shut off!

He DID turn the power back on in order to make use of the headlights and radio, but not to attempt to drive. He was assuming that the 2ndary battery would be drained for these activities and not the friction battery.

Hmmm. Now I wonder if that was a problem.

I asked him if the car was in Park at the time or what. Altogether now.... You know what he said next. "uhhh I don't know..."

Okay, so I hope that's the end of the rest of the story.

19. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jendbbay @ Jan 5 2007, 07:12 PM) [snapback]371568[/snapback]</div>
    Welllllllll...

This is getting me in *way* over my depth, but I'm not sure it's as simple as, "the accessories are connected to the little battery and the motors connected to the big battery."

The Prius also has an inverter, which is a crucial part of the car (and whose function in the Prius is one which, sadly, I don't fully understand, yet). The little and big batteries are connected in a system along with the inverter...and I believe that sometimes the power from the big battery is actually used to charge the little one...

Also, the headlights could be the HID ones; these have some sort of transformers used to 'light off' the bulbs which demand very high voltage; I'm not sure but am wondering if perhaps somehow even these can draw down the big battery?

Dr. Fusco? DanMan32? Galaxee? These are the people who actually have the answers...I know just enough to be dangerous...
    [laughing]

Generally speaking, the car's systems are quite interconnected.

Anyone who takes comfort in their understanding of how 'conventional' cars work might do well to develop a strong distrust for even some of the most basic of these concepts (which have been true for over a century and remain so for most 'conventional' cars).

Honestly, I'm continually confounded by Prius; delightfully so, in fact!

20. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be unwilling to believe he went a "couple of miles" on battery
    alone, especially up a significant hill. A couple hundred yards,
    maybe. But that's one nice thing about the prius; it *does* give
    you a safety margin, however small, to get the car out of danger
    where a regular car would become an immobile lump right away.
    _H*