1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ran over a dip too fast

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by poormanstesla, Sep 4, 2017.

1. poormanstesla

poormanstesla New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wasn't paying attention and didn't see a dip in the road. I went over it too fast and the bottom of my car scraped the road. Immediately afterward, I smelled some burning so I quickly pulled over and inspected the bottom with a flashlight. As far as I can see, there's no visible damage or leaking. After I got home, I took a closer look and the front underside had bits of of the road stuck onto it.

Is there anything I should be on the lookout for? Which parts should I take a closer look at?

2. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bet everybody here had this experience already; for normal you will just see a view scratches on the plastic cover/
    if you don't see nething else, you're ok/
    the burning smell?
    might be a coincidence with something else....

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The only damage that would occur is with the plastic panels that line the bottom of the car. There are no mechanical parts low enough to be damaged on a "flat" road. Over large rocks, that's a different matter.

When the car scrapped the road that would generate the burning smell. Friction does that. ;)

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Road hazards. :p

5. poormanstesla

poormanstesla New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the help everyone!