1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Random Key Fob issues.

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cdnbrit, Dec 30, 2017.

1. cdnbrit

cdnbrit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Hey everyone.. Love my V, but lately been having Random Keyfob issues.

Occasionally i can park my car and hit lock and nothing happens. When nothing happens usually the red light on my keyfob doesn't work either. Then all of a sudden i press lock and it all works. Today my daughter got out of the passenger side and closed the door. The Light on the dash That shows you are not in Proximity of the car came on and the car beeped as if i wasn't in the car with the Keyfob. i picked up the keyfob from the center console and the light went out.

I've replaced my battery in my Keyfob 3 times now. My car is a 2012, i bought it used so i'm assuming that maybe it's getting time to Change the Trunk Battery being its been 5 years. but i haven't had any other electrical issues at all. (I'm not opposed to changing the battery)

On another note, It's been Brutally cold here the last couple of weeks. but I'm sure the random keyfob not working issue was happening before that.

Should i try another Key fob battery? Do they come loose or move around inside the fob? I've opened it and looked at it. everything seems fine. No Water marks or Corrosion i can see. Battery looks to be sitting in proper position.

Thanks

Richard

2. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don't you have a second key fob you could try, if not you should get one.

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Given where you live, you wouldn't want to go into winter with a 5 year old battery. But don't assume it is a '12 battery. It could be older, or newer. Crack that trunk and look for a date on the battery.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the light on the fob doesn't work, i think it's the battery. could a button be stuck?

Air_Boss likes this.
  5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sounds like a sticking or dirty contact in the key fob

bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. cdnbrit

cdnbrit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Thanks for the responses, I will take a look at the battery today. (12v for a date) I did inquire as to the price at my dealer. They told me they can test my battery as I'm getting due for service.

As for a 2nd Key fob, i don't have one. Car only came with one. I will pop open the key fob and give the rubber parts a good cleaning. And possibly get another battery as i have a 3 free replacements.

7. cdnbrit

cdnbrit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    So i took apart the Key Fob gave it a good cleaning seems to be working fine every since. Don't seem to get much range on the key fob, but it's working.. will get another battery next week. Will also get 12v checked when i'm in for my oil change this month..

Happy New Year!