1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Random Speaker, what does it do?!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by TreffEdwards, Mar 24, 2009.

1. TreffEdwards

TreffEdwards Hybrid Family

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So I have now been in quite a few friends prius' and I have a question that may just be stupid.... I have a 05 Prius w/out nav or bluetooth, my best friend has an 04 Prius with no options, my mom has a 07 Prius w/nav and bluetooth... My question is, in my car I have this speaker that is on top of the MFD and in the 04 there isnt one, but in my moms w/nav there is one... I was just wondering what thats for?!@ Is it a JBL audio speaker or the speaker that is used for the nav system? Thanks, sorry for such a stupid question, but I have read and read and havent found any answers!

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's not a stupid question.

It's actually not a speaker at all. That's the electron collection chamber and conversion unit used to power the Navigation system in your and your mom's car. Since your friend's '04 doesn't have the NAV option, his monitor doesn't use as many electrons and therefore can use the standard collector system mounted just behind the grill.

So you see, there are no stupid questions, only really stupid answers.

Yeah, that's a speaker. It bounces the sound off the windshield. But the NAV voice only comes out the little speaker in front of the driver and to the left.

3. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe JBL audio is quoted as a 9-speaker system. The six-speaker system only has front tweeters and woofers, and rear full-range speakers. The 9-speaker system has front and rear tweeters and woofers (i.e. gains rear tweeters), plus that full-range one in the centre.

I don't know what the JBL audio is like, but the standard Toyota one in my car has no mid-range. I've had to cut treble and bass response severely to hear anything in the midrange. It's the second-worst thing about the car (the first is the touchscreen).

4. TreffEdwards

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    LOL! Thanks, I was reading and has the thought wow, this guy is full of sh*t. haha I got my smile for the day! :) Ok, yeah I just had wondered because it seems when I put my hand over that speaker it doesnt make any vibrations really. So I had assumed it was for the Nav system and thought maybe I had gotten lucky and my car was wired for one. HAHA damnit, no luck this time. :p

5. TreffEdwards

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well I cant honestly see a big difference in my sound system to my friends 04... Besides that mine has a lil bit more "oomph" and bump to the beat. haha. Altho I think is extremely stupid that with the JBL system you get a freaking tape player in 05. It gets used as a TAP card holder for me :) I like the touch screen, but its kinda way too sensative!

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The centre speaker is actually a mono speaker and used as a filler for the left and right speakers. It's currently disconnected on mine because I can remove an extra source of unwanted midrange sound (i.e. I don't have to bump the MID adjustment as far down with the speaker disconnected). The JBL audio allows for MID adjustment while the standard one doesn't IIRC.

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I installed a dash cover which nicely muffles the center speaker.