1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Random using MP3 CDs?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Zacher, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Zacher

Zacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here is something people who are still considering the Prius and its options may want to know.

When using the CD changer with an MP3 CD, 'RND' mode will result in a shuffled mix, but ONLY if you let the changer finish each song and move to the next on its own. If you don't want to hear a certain track and hit the 'track up' button on the wheel or the dash, you will simply get the next file number in the numerical sequence.

I was bummed when I noticed this.

The only workaround I have figured out (other than burning a randomly ordered disc in the first place), is to disengage and re-engage RND mode, which will force advancement to a new random track.

2. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Another "feature" of random with MP3's is that it will stay on one disc forever just randomly skipping from song to song. After weeks on the same CD and being sure I had heard the same song more than once, I made up an MP3 CD with 5 songs on it. It does the 5 songs once each and then begins to repeat the process on the same CD. With around 200 songs on a CD, it'd be nice if it went on to the next one in the changer after every song played once. As it is, you have to select the next CD manually after 14 hours or so of playtime and then put that CD into random. Not very well thought out.

- Tom

3. gjertsen

gjertsen Junior Member

Yeah I noticed this behavior as well... and called Toyota about it. I'm hoping that somewhere down the line they can just update the software to correct what seems to me a design defect.

4. MyPria

MyPria New Member

I've not used the random feature on the MP3 because I'm listening to a non-music disk. What I have noticed that is VERY cool is when I power off and then back on the disc will start up where it left off automatically. Why not take it off random play, listen to your disk in its entirety (remember, it will not repeat but will start from where it stopped) and when it is done advance to the next disc?

5. gjertsen

gjertsen Junior Member

That sort of defeats the whole point of having a shuffle algorithm that mixes up your music. If you're not listening to music, it doesn't necessarily apply.

I guess you might be saying you could burn the disk in some sort of random order (with some software that could actually shuffle it), play it in the car *without* the RND on, and when it finishes, you could discard the disc if you wanted (optical media is cheap, after all) and repeat the process if you wanted to "reshuffle" the same playlist.

I would encourage any who are annoyed by the RND feature's defect to call Toyota and complain. I write software for a living. This has to be easy to fix. Advancing the track has to be able to execute the same code that ending the song executes.

6. MyPria

MyPria New Member

You're right gjertsen, listening to a non-music disk is entirely different. I understand why you all want a randon mix of music from all disks and not just one. I use random play on a cd player and it plays randomly from all disks. Duh, I guess I'm not quit awake. If you do however, burn your own MP3 disks, mixing the music up as you record would help, but would probably be a real pain.

7. kDB

kDB New Member

i don't have a 2006, so i'm not sure how the buttons are. but, most stereos with RND, you have to hold RND for a few sec and it will RND all cd's.

8. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Tried that - no joy. The JBL changes from random-in-a-folder to random-for-the-CD when you hold the button longer. I just want a way to get it to go on to the next CD when it has finished with the present one (and stay in random for extra bonus points).

- Tom

9. jeneric

jeneric New Member

Not that anyone is considering this, but rewritable discs cost pretty much the same and can be reburned 1000 times. Actually, that almost makes it a viable option...