1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Random yellow brake malfunction warning light on road trip

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jsmithy, Mar 10, 2011.

1. jsmithy

jsmithy Hypermiler and Freedom Lover

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, my wife is 4 hours into her two day drive from KC to LA. She called me a bit ago and said the yellow (!) brake system warning light has come on twice. Both times blinking and staying on for 20 seconds or less.

The car seemingly drives normal. She drives it some at home, so she is familiar with how it operates.

Car is a 2010 Prius II with 6,700 miles.

From what I have read, it seems to still be driveable in this state, but I need some expertise on what might be causing this.

Picture I found on google...light on is the one in the bottom right.

Attached Files:

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Would that be the TPMS indicator? If so, you might have a tire that is low or possible over pressure.

3. jsmithy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Spiderman,

That indicator is red and looks like a cross section of a tire. This one is yellow with a ! inside of a circle, inside ( ).

4. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With respect, hope she has the parking brake disengaged!

5. jsmithy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Ha! That was the second question I asked her. It is disengaged. I do believe it triggers a beep when it is engaged over about 3 MPH.

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, TPMS is yellow with (!) and tire tread under it. Flashes on occasions for about 30 secs or so.

[​IMG]

As far as the other symbol there might be diagnostic code... should have the dealer check on this.

1 person likes this.
  7. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The icon in question appears to be the brake system warning indicator. If so, I would have her take to a dealer and have it checked out, pronto!

8. jsmithy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

You're right Spiderman. It is even yellow in the picture I posted, my mistake.

That is probably what it is. I put about 4 psi in each tire yesterday. Maybe that is whats doing it.

9. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Make sure you're talking about the right icon in your picture. You originally said it was the one on the bottom right, which is NOT the TPMS symbol. In your picture, the TPMS icon is one up and one to the left of the bottom right symbol, which is the brake system warning indicator.

10. dhedges

dhedges Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Tire pressure is monitored on all five tires. The ones on the ground may be fine while the one in the trunk needs attention.

11. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Must be something new for the 2011 cause my 2010 does not have a sensor for the spare...

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Correct, no sensor in the spare. I don't think the system alarms on overpressure either. Mine was set with factory recommended pressure (33/32) when I bought it and I raised the pressure to 48 and there was no alarm. At least that's how I remember it, I'm sure you guys will let me know if I have it wrong. :)

OP's wife needs to take the car to a tire store or a dealer if she has not already done so, have them check the pressures. She may have a puncture and be driving on a seriously under inflated tire.

TPMS reset is on page 442/443 of the owner's manual and should only be done when tires are at the desired pressure.

1 person likes this.