1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rapture Logistics

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by airportkid, Feb 21, 2007.

1. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I believe the common "christian" concept of the rapture is that suddenly, without warning, the sky will ignite, Jesus will descend, and "true" followers will be called to follow him to heaven, leaving behind a scorched and blasted earth. This at least is the picture painted on page one of the incredibly long-lived Rapture thread a few threads over.

It's a romantic and dramatic scene, but it can't possibly represent what might actually occur - not if the intent of the rapture is to let all and sundry know that He Has Come And The End Is Nigh. I mean, give it a little thought:

Let's say the rapture happens at rush hour one hot, rainy August afternoon right above Times Square in New York. The thunderstorms that have been booming along all day suddenly get intense enough people look up in awe at the spectacle and comment "Jeez, willya LOOK at THAT lightning, didja ever see anything like it?" "Yeah, once over in Joisey, but that was over 20 years ago. HEY WATCHIT CLOWN!!" (this to a passing cab driver also distracted by the pyrotechnic weather). Most people scurry to find shelter, to escape the rain or getting struck by lightning. So when Jesus begins his descent above Times Square, the only witnesses are the few people left outside still trying to hail a cab who just happen to glance up at the right moment. Jesus is glowing like a trillion watt Tesla generator, but he's only the size of a human, so to most people that catch sight of him, he's merely a blazing bright point of light coming down out of the sky. "What the hell is THAT!" A post 9/11 New Yorker trying to identify an unidentified descending ball of fire will consider only a short list of possibilities:
    A. It's a terrorist missile
    B. It's a terrorist missile
    C. It's a terrorist missile

Possibilities D. It's a disabled aircraft, E. It's the first interplanetary emissary spaceship from Mars and F. It's Christ coming back to earth don't even make the list. Panicked out of their minds, the remaining people in Times Square run for their lives, and Jesus alights onto an abandoned sidewalk, no one to greet him.

He starts walking. Passing a bar with a wide picture window, people inside who missed witnessing his descent now catch sight of a figure dressed in a glowing robe walking past. "Hey lookit that - David Copperfield's in town!" "Yeah, where's he playing, the Garden?" "Naw ya twit, he's right outside - look!" "Aw cut it out you moron, that ain't David Copperfield, that's that homeless nut that lives on 63rd that tapes flashlights all over his clothes. Neon Leon. What's he doin' down here, I wonder."

Hours go by and not a single New Yorker Jesus encounters thinks he's anything but who he actually is, and he royally irritates three or four mentally disturbed homeless people who believe that THEY are the one true Jesus H. Christ and this piker's come to to usurp their choice panhandling turf. Sure, many people are amazed at the technical perfection of his glow - not a single flashlight or telltale lightbulb gives away the trick - but even the true believers laugh in his face. They see his type on the street every day.

And that's just in Times Square, where Jesus actually made his appearance.

3,000 miles to the west it's a cloudless day at 2:00 on a stifling hot afternoon in Madera, California, population 80,000, 4,322 of whom are true believers intended for the rapture recall. But the spectacle in New York never got on the news - too ordinary to rate any but the most superficial attention - and even if the Madera 4,322 had got the word somehow AND believed it, it'd take them hours to get to Times Square and even then only half of them could afford to fly to New York. Another quarter of them could drive or take a bus, taking several days to get there, but by the time they finally arrived the earth would already be a 3 days old scorched and blasted naked ball of rock.

You see the problems.

So, tell me, just how WOULD you recognize the rapture for what it was? I mean, it's one thing to mistake the rapture for a terrorist attack and run away from it. It's quite another to mistake a genuine attack for the rapture and run TOWARD it.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

2. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I thought it already came a few years ago with a spaceship behind a comit. :D

3. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Feb 21 2007, 10:44 PM) [snapback]394344[/snapback]</div>
    Ahem.
    No one living in New Jersey or New York pronounces it "Joisey".
    You may now return to your rapture. :rolleyes:

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I didn't think any of this rapture/left behind stuff was in the bible, but rather was made up in the 1800s etc. Anyone know for sure?

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Feb 21 2007, 07:44 PM) [snapback]394344[/snapback]</div>
    If you see a bunch of flaming liberals, run toward the light . . . of course, if you are a flamin' liberal, run the other way. :lol:

6. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Feb 22 2007, 04:47 AM) [snapback]394428[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol:

7. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Feb 21 2007, 11:40 PM) [snapback]394373[/snapback]</div>
    It was. I can't remember the guy's name, but he was an evangelical preacher that apparently changed the face of fundies for the worst.

As to Mark, I think, if I remember correctly, that the "souls" who'll be going with Jesus will be automatically taken (hence those ridiculous bumper stickers that say "In case of rapture, this car will be unmanned") up to heaven. The rest of the world (about 99% of it, to my estimation) will be left on the ravaged earth, forced to examine themselves while living a tortured existence. It's from there that I've heard various reports: 1--those "left behind" will be given another chance to redeem themselves after suffering for several years; 2--those left behind will hook up with the antichrist and live a life of torture; 3--they stay in a purgatory, I guess, till eternity.

Needless to say, I don't buy any of it. Even though I do think there may be some allegory there...the world becoming unhabitable, and turning into a wasteland. I'm afraid that's exactly what's happening, but not because of the second coming. I think it's because humans are wasteful creatures.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't think mainstream Christians believe any of it. Just the lunatic fringe.

9. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Feb 21 2007, 11:40 PM) [snapback]394373[/snapback]</div>
    The whole bible was made up...NT in the 2nd century and added/subtracted to and from over the next few centuries. :p

10. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    According to Wikipedia, the Book of Revelation was written late in the first century.

11. gjertsen

gjertsen Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(huskers @ Feb 22 2007, 10:12 AM) [snapback]394479[/snapback]</div>
    While the emoticon may have been there to bring levity to the assertion, that is a fairly ridiculous claim. The gospels were recorded by eyewitnesses, whether you believe them inspired by God or not. While it did take a couple of centuries to settle on the canon that Christians agree on today, it is something out of Dan Brown's fiction (rather than reality) to deny the integrity of the source material.

To answer the question another poster asked about whether the "rapture" is biblical: sort of. There are different end-time views which can be supported from Scripture, but certainly one (pre-tribulation) does define an epoch of tribulation that Christians are evacuated from somewhat suddenly and unexpectedly. I'm not so much pre-trib myself, and I won't even pretend to be conclusive about how I think the Bible teaches, but a couple of portions of the Bible that suggest something like a rapture are 1 Thessalonians 4 and 1 Corinthians 15.

But I was ROFL over the original poster's description of a hypothetical Times Square. That's quite an imagination! And very funny stuff.

12. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gjertsen @ Feb 22 2007, 10:42 AM) [snapback]394500[/snapback]</div>
    Show me proof of your eyewitness claim. The bible was written in the 2nd century in greek. There were dozens of forms. The church decided to go with the four. The rest were burned. There is no proof of any eyewitness accounts. There is not even any proof that Jesus even was a real person outside of the bible. The early Catholic Church did a pretty good job of forming everything to their liking after they got government sponsorship. ;)

13. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  14. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Feb 21 2007, 08:40 PM) [snapback]394373[/snapback]</div>
    Airport Kid's description of the rapture theology is off; generally, Christians who believe in a rapture believe that Jesus "snatches away" the faithful before the start of the promised "Great Tribulation", which will last 7 years. There is nothing but the missing people as evidence that anything has happened; there is no fire and brimstone, just a bunch of people missing, and no one knows where they went. At the end of the Great Tribulation period is the battle of Armageddon. Some Christians believe the rapture happens in the middle of the Great Tribulation, and some believe its at the end of the Great Tribulation.

The rapture grew out of the dispensationalism of certain theologians, and has its first expression in the 1800's. As Christian theology, then, it is very new, and likely to wane out of style soon. Already, many of us reject it as wrong (I only use the word "heresy" for it among people who know what that word really means, so here I would just say "wrong").

15. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Feb 23 2007, 09:54 PM) [snapback]395684[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmmmmm, I don't think it's just his description that's off. . . :blink:

16. nicoss

nicoss New Member

Too serious subject; count me out until my next indigestion attack :lol:

17. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Feb 23 2007, 09:54 PM) [snapback]395684[/snapback]</div>
    Evidently I miscalculated in this television numbed age. I forgot to include a laugh track.

(sigh)

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gjertsen @ Feb 22 2007, 07:42 AM) [snapback]394500[/snapback]</div>
    None of the four Gospel writers was alive at the time of Jesus. Only Paul was contemporaneous, and he converted after Jesus died. He claims to have been touched by the holy ghost, but does not claim to have witnessed any of the events related in the (much later) Gospels.

The Gospel writers relied on earlier (but now lost) written sources, and to some extent on each other (the last drawing from the first three, that is).

I don't believe we have a single document written by a person who claims to have actually seen Jesus when he was alive. Therefore we actually have no eyewitness accounts.

19. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Feb 23 2007, 11:29 PM) [snapback]395731[/snapback]</div>
    No, I got the joke, and overall thought it was funny. You just missed making it good satire by mixing up the Rapture with the more-traditional theology associated with the Second Coming. The really good satirists know the subject inside and out, and don't make what are obvious and clumsy errors to the people you are trying to insult.

If you changed the beginning to refer to the Second Coming, when "every eye shall see his return", you'll actually be able to satirize more Christians, as a larger part of Christianity believes in the physical second coming of Jesus, and the scene you describe would fit. As it is, you only show that you do not know the subject well enough to satirize it, although you do have the obvious talent to do so.

20. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Feb 24 2007, 07:36 AM) [snapback]395788[/snapback]</div>
    Daniel, have you done any research on this? The reason I ask is that there is at least one error in your summation above that is problematic.

First, there are three synoptic gospels which are considered earlier than the fourth, the Gospel of John. I have head some say the Gospel of Mark (the second Gospel) is considered to be either sourced from the Gospel of Matthew or vice-versa. The fourth gospel, the Gospel of John, is entirely different in tone and structure, and is obviously not drawing on the first three. It is considered the latest of the three. You may have confused Mark, the second of the Gospels, with John, the fourth.

Mark D. Roberts has a pretty good treatment of the dating of the Gospels at his Website ; I won't do a point/counterpoint here, as that kind of detailed discussion doesn't fit with the rough and tumble atmosphere here. But it is good reading for those following along.

Suffice it to say that an assertion is not proof. It doesn't matter if the person making the assertion is religious or not; the careful reader will seek out other sources and not simply accept an argument.