1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rats can't resist wiring in newer cars

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Sid786, May 8, 2018.

1. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Detroit Free Press: Rats can't resist wiring in newer cars: Here's why.

https://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw_fKB4zo

Anyone knows how can it be fixed. I saw someone using anti rodent tape. Where can I buy that tape.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Honda must think it is an issue

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Rats-R-Us?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hah I read that as Rust-R-Us, another one of my pet peeves. Rust and rats... :mad:

Good link. (y) Interesting selection of other products too: in the "Customers who bought this also bought...".

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder what the "oil-based" wiring insulation is made off? Soy based is not necessarily greener...if it is not robust...not to mention converting food crops to industrial use just because someone has the potentially wrong-headed opinion that it is greener.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Government incentives ($) at work?

Prodigyplace likes this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Rodents gnaw; it's what they do. Wire coating, soy or petroleum based, is soft compared to what they can chew through.

Doesn't sound like there is actual evidence that they find the soy based stuff tastier. Being soy based does not mean biogradable. In fact, the properties that make such plastics biodegradable would mean a short life if used as a coating for wiring; engine bays are exposed to high heat and even humidity that break those plastics down. The long life polyurethanes and polyesters derived from soy are likely very close in structure to the petroleum-based. On top of that, the final soy-based products might actually be blended with petroleum-based plastics.

I suspect an escalating rodent issue is actually a case of the internet allowing news to travel further and faster. If more car problems are arising from chewed wires is true, it might have more to do with the increasing integration of electronics into the car systems. This increases the amount of wiring in a car, and its susceptibility to problems by damaged wire.

The soy-based coating could still be tastier, but has anyone actually tested that hypothesis? The rats will be the most expensive materials of any such study.

8. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Squirrels (no moose) had chewed halfway thru center wire of electric service from pole to house when we moved in 15 years ago; power company replaced quickly.

Critters also chewed up some wiring on an F-150 truck parked in driveway a few years later, as well as enjoying daylight munchies on carpet bunks on a small boat trailer.

fortunately the Prime stays in garage.

huskers likes this.
  9. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  11. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The problem might be that you live where rats are.

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Unfortunately, they came with the people.

13. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  14. Roy2001

Roy2001 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My friend has his brother’s Porsche in his garage while his brother lives in Costa Rica. Rats lived in the car and ended up with a $4500 bill to fix all the cables and hoses.

15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Found in a motorcycle airbox! Hopefully didn't need to eat any wires or hoses with that food supply.

Honda VFR800 mouse airbox 1.jpg

16. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'd leave rat food out next to the car(s). This is non-toxic. Which would a rat choose? Food level in container goes down, add more food.

Except around here that tends to lure the coyotes. I guess fool proof method in a garage...

17. karinhunt

karinhunt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have found an effective solution. Amazon sells devices that are battery powered that make different frequencies of high pitch sound. It hurts their ears and they don't hang around. Mine is made by Fillixar Under Hood Animal Repeller. I've been using it now for 4 months and my rodent problems have gone away. The noise is meant not to annoy people or dogs or other pets. $45 investment.

SM-G930V ?

Lucifer and Prodigyplace like this.
  18. greasy

greasy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's an abundance of acorns where I live, resulting in an abundance of wood rats, who can cause thousands in wiring damage -- overnight. Our attempts over the years to defeat the rats would make for a dark Caddy Shack comedy. On simpler cars, when defenses failed, one could usually just splice the damaged wires back together, but clearly this approach wasn't going to work for the Prius. Worse, our usual strategy of leaving the hood partly open wouldn't work, because on a Prius this allows rainwater to leak into the spark plug wells.

Yes, I could build a garage, but who has the time. ;-)

I've adopted a multipronged approach, which so far (knock on wood) has worked. Leaving a 60 W lightbulb under the car seems to be one of the most effective (and cost-effective) deterrents. The ultrasonic repellents don't seem to work by themselves, but probably contribute to making the Prius less inviting. Capsaicin is a proven repellent, but can be deployed more cheaply, easily, and thoroughly than the Honda tape by simply spraying capsaicin oil on vulnerable surfaces. We've had success just sprinkling cayenne pepper throughout the engine compartment.

And then for good measure, one can deploy mothballs and peppermint oil – these by themselves haven't proven sufficient, but I'm sure they add to the overall deterrent effect.

Lastly, some people swear by “Amber Rustproofing”, available at Amazon, though, again, it alone wasn't sufficient to deter my little friends. But I sprayed some on the inverter wiring, because I don't even want to imagine what that would cost to replace…

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's getting increasingly hard, near impossible, to find such a bulb around here. It was all CFL (Canadian Football League??) for a while; now that's old-hat, and it's all LED.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  20. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does that mean we get the NFL version? :LOL:
    [​IMG]

Mendel Leisk likes this.