1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rats & mice love to eat Toyota rubber and plastic because----

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by subjective, Dec 31, 2012.

1. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Allegedly fish/whale oil is used instead of mineral oil in the chemistry of plastic connectors, rubber hoses, foam insulation etc. Every year at this time when it gets cool the rats head for the engine compartments of our Toyotas. I place rat poison blocks securely on the battery and under the intake manifold cover. In only one day they can cause a lot of damage in which time they are usually dead. Last week when it got cold at night, one rat or possibly more ate through a hose from the valve cover to the throttle body intake on our Tundra. Last year the rats destroyed an electrical connector under the intake cover twice before I was able to kill them. They go for these electrical connectors like they were candy. My dealer reported to me many other cases like mine in the winter. No, I can not positively prove this to anyone that doubts it but I know that in Japan they have used fish or mammal oil in place of petrolchemical use in products for many years. I am also trying snake repellant which has moth ball crystals in it.

2. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Oh the price you pay for building green.

3. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Dont blame the vehicle. You have rats because the rats are finding food and shelter on your property. I have no rats/mice/vermin because I dont allow my property to accommodate vermin.

How about a poll. When was the last time plastic or rubber in vehicles was made from fish/mammal oil? If ever? Just curious.

4. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Rats and mice like warfarin too. You can solve your rodent problem by feeding them this tasty treat. Be careful though; your pets and unsuspecting toddlers will eat it too.

5. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this person may not have control over the surrounding property, like in an appartment or condo complex. Florida just has more habitat than most of Texas, similar to East Texas.

6. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Agreed.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I still have a healthy supply of Coumadin and i just ran out of normal rat poison. Or did I? ;)

8. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They don't go near my sons Ford Mustang which is always parked outside.

9. mad-dog-one

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I understand why, even, a rat wouldn't put a Mustang in its mouth. You never know where it's been.

dcrist66 likes this.
  10. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  11. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The Michelin Primacy MXM4 uses sunflower oil in its formulation. Fish oil in plastic is not too far fetch.

A Prius with MXM4 must look like an ice cream sundae to the rats.

12. mad-dog-one

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    More like a chocolate donut.

13. rico567

rico567 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In my experience (living in the country for 40 years), they're seeking a nice warm place to nest, and an engine compartment with a warm engine qualifies. The stuff they chew up is just nearby handy raw nesting material. If they can chew it, they will. They chewed off a hunk of firewall insulation from a brand new car once....ah, too many anecdotes to go on. Anyhow, in my opinion, it's got nothing to do with hoses or other materials being made from some sort of animal or vegetable oil, and everything to do with just rodents chewing what they can.
    Oh, and bait blocks under the hood is a good idea. Also attempting to limit their food supply insofar as you can. In the country this is impossible, of course, but don't make the problem worse by making bird or pet food easily available to them, etc.

14. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I make an annual trip to the animal shelter every fall and adopt a hungry, neutered, cat. That usually carries me through the winter until the snakes come out of hibernation.

15. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What happens to the cat after winter? Why a new one every year?

SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 ? 2

16. mad-dog-one

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Snake food?

17. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would rather not speculate but I like to have at least two cats in service at all times, the larger the better.

18. drywind

drywind Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Rats have fully assaulted my 2011 Prius. They ate my window washer hose in 7 places, tore out my seat insulation and under-dash stuffings. They've gnawed on plastic covers in the engine compartment.

Meanwhile they have passed by my 2005 Sprinter Van (Mercedes), 2012 Fiat 500 and 2010 Mazda 3. I've lived in the same location for 18 years and this is the first vehicle that's been attacked by rats. My service manager says they love Toyotas.....attracted to their biodegradable ingredients in hoses and insulations.

As much as I love my Prius, I may have to reconsider ownership in favor of... say a Honda Hybrid. I don't want to get caught out on the road with a dead Prius. BIG FAIL Toyota.

19. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What biodegradable ingredients are those?

20. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not just Toyotas, but any vehicle can /will be food for a rat. Depends on how hungry it is and how determined it is to start chewing / eating plastic and rubber.
    My older brother has a class A recreational vehicle he keeps in the Carolina mtns and he could not start it. He had it towed to a repair garage and the electronic module (engine) was consumed by: rats.
    There was very little of the module left along with the spark plug wires all chewed up.
    It ended costing over $2500 to get the R.V. back running. The garage mechanic told him rats will always go after wiring, but this was the 1st time they seen an electronic module distroyed. He keeps rat poison on top of the engine and leaves a note on the dash to remove before starting the engine.
    So far, so good - no more rats.

DBCassidy