1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rattle Fixing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by molgrips, Feb 3, 2007.

1. molgrips

molgrips Member

There's a terrible rattle coming from the aforementioned rear right hand seatbelt, and I need to know how to remove the plastic trim that covers it up.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Almost all the trim just pulls off, being held on by plastic clips. You can start by removing the rear seat; grab the bottom at the front and yank up, wire clips, first one side and then the other. Next, get a 10mm socket and remove the bolt at the bottom of the HV battery vent cover; it pulls up and out. There's a screw deep in a hole at the end of where the roller-cover lives; remove the cover to get at the hole and remove the screw. If a piece seems to be held in by another, lower, remove the lower piece first. I think there are a couple of barbed T clips which hold the carpet from the back of the back seat back down; a flat-blade screwdriver helps pry them out.

Just remember how you pulled it apart, and the sequence, so you can put it back together easily. While you have it apart looking for that rattle (which you may never find), why not install some sound deadening material? Foil faced butyl rubber is best, but there are lots of choices, with discussion threads here.

Good luck, it's an easy car to work with.

3. molgrips

molgrips Member

Cheers Bill. Got everything out, and found the problem. The rear seatbelt is attached via a flat piece of metal, which can flex like a ruler on the edge of a table. This caused the loose ball bearing in the seatbelt mechanism to rattle like mad. So I had to add some pieces of foam to pad the thing and stop it rattling.

On the one hand, it's annoying that I get rattles; on the other hand, it's so easy to dismantle the interior and fix them! So I curse and thank Toyota equally.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Did you get a chance to install any sound deadening material? That can really make a difference in a quieter ride.