1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

rattle near left front wheel

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Don Rossetti, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Don Rossetti

Don Rossetti Junior Member

Gen III package IV rattle from undercarriage near the left front wheel. Sounds like a few coins in the bottom of a tin can. Every time I hit a series of those little square plastic looking markers that appear mostly where you have double yellow lines in the roadway. I told the dealer yesterday that it sounds like a loose clip.....the clip that holds the brake disc pads in place. Dealer said they couldn't find it because they couldn't reproduce the noise. Anyone else had this admittedly minor ailment?

2. thejacksonjive

thejacksonjive New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hope you got it fixed. Did you ever find out what this was? I have the same issue. Just like coins rattling around.

3. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What you are describing is most assuredly the front caliper rattling. I have complained about this on my Prius since new. It is so bad that you can hear the rattle (snapping) echoing off the buildings. I had it in to 2 different dealers and both turned a blind eye. Toyota knows about this and refuses to address the problem. Interestingly, there is a TSB for this condition on 2010-2011. However, Toyota has determined on the later models, that it is a normal condition and poses no safety concerns. Tell that to a Lexus owner. It’s pure BS.