1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rattles and rattle proofing.

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kenny94945, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    '16 Prius v under 500 miles.
    At this time I really don't notice any rattles when driving.

However, as inspecting the undercarriage the plastic fender liners and front lower plastic shield (service valence panel) if touched can be made to rattle.

So.......any one rattle proof their Prius?

Know areas, tricks, advice?
    Maybe not even an issue as Toyota knew about these rattles and designed in space tolerances?

Just seems to me those fender liners are a big source of rattles caused by vibration.

FWIW in old Chevrolet service manuals they had a section on rattle proofing...great fun to read.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    most of the rattle complaints are from the interior. i think you'll be fine.(y)

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    You'd need to take apart the entire interior and replace 5,294 plastic push-pin fasteners with something sturdier that doesn't loosen up over time.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Really don't have any rattles in my Toyotas. If you take an internal panel apart you will see why, there is an over-abundance of guides, clips and screws holding everything tight. However if you ever take something apart the smart thing to do is to replaces the clips. The guides are built into the panels and no big deal but the clips usually deform or break.