1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rattles in dash

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mortdana, Jul 31, 2004.

1. mortdana

mortdana Junior Member

I find when I hit bumps in the road, I am getting a rattling sound in my dashboard behind the area of the steering wheel.

Also, the plastic cover that runs from the ceiling to the dash along the windshield on the drivers side is rattling.

Is anyone else experiencing similar rattles?

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The only Rattle on mine was the Center Speaker over the MFD. It seems to be a very common one. It's like it just sits in there and isn't secured very well.

I took some inner tube rubber, shaved it down to a very thin strip, and poked it in around the speaker with a tiny screwdriver making a gasket around it, problem solved.

3. pino

pino Junior Member

I, too, complained to my dealer about this rattle and they insisted on replacing the speaker. It gets replaced on the 2nd of August. We'll see if it makes a difference. If not, felt pads, here we come!

The only other slight rattle I hear is in the upper/left edge in front of the driver under the black laptop looking surface.

4. starla30

starla30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have the same speaker rattle. It gets really annoying sometimes. And the rear view mirror creaks a lot. They usually take turns and don't rattle at the same time which is somewhat of a relief. ;)

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm... i havent noticed any rattles... but i do know that the rear view mirror vibrates in time to the music when the volume hits 40+ and i only have the standard stereo.

maybe if i turned the stereo down a little, i might hear something.

6. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Turn the stereo off, place the air conditioner in low and go drive over irregular pavement. You'll hear plenty of rattles. My Prius rattles twice as much at 6,500 miles than my 2002 VW GTI did at 23,000.

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    tried that today on my way back from Bellevue. still nothing. i guess i need more miles first. (i only have 3000)

8. Ptpiz

Ptpiz New Member

My plastic door panels rattle all of the time when I have music on or drive on uneven pavement. My center speaker also vibrates, when I get back from vacation I will put some padding. I don't know what to do about the side panels yet though.

I am probably going to be getting a nice subwoofer and amp package formy car soon anyway, so there will be EVEN MORE rattle. I think I might have to opt for that stuff that insulates the doors? It is supposed to keep the noise inside the car and reduce that darn rattle!

9. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have about 7K miles on mine, and aside from that speaker, it's tight as a drum.

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wow i guess speaker rattle is common and i was just out kinda wondering why mine was so well behaved until i realized that i dont have a center speaker.(DUH!!) i have two in the front doors on each side and one in each of the back doors.

so i guess it boils down to the fact that only cars with extras rattle because they have more parts.

but as for mine, it dont rattle, buzz or hum anywhere.

now i used to have a buzzing sound that happened if i put my keys or change in the compartment below the CD player. but i just moved them to the center console and that went away.

11. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Count mine as another center speaker rattler. I've been looking for a thin strip of rubber to quiet it down.

12. starla30

starla30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just last night my speaker rattle got SO much worse. It was non stop buzz unless I leaned over and held it still. Not a good longterm solution though, especially while driving. :p

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i guess all this talk about speaker buzz has people listening for it.

14. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Quite likely. I'm a very noise-sensitive person, so now I'm gonna be hearing for it like a hawk...no matter if I want to or not.

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    now all you guys got me paranoid...

i notice now that i tend to play the music louder in a thinly disquised attempt to drown out things i dont want to know (or hear) about!~!

16. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, if it works... :mrgreen:

17. pino

pino Junior Member

To follow up:
    I just got my center speaker replaced under warranty because of the rattling cover, and the new one is much, much tighter. No more annoying buzzes/rattles (from the center speaker at least!)

Best,
    Pino

18. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm the problem seems so common, that maybe it should be a recall. if the rattling is really that bad. it seems that everyone who has the upgraded stereo is experiencing problems here.

so did they actually replace parts or did they just tighten things up?

19. AngelFish

AngelFish New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My center speaker rattles like crazy. I'm thinking of jamming a few well placed thin O-Rings in to stop it. My husband's Pri has different rattles, but his center speaker is all right... Go figure.

20. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    When I was driving another Prius a week before I picked mine up (almost 10 months ago!), I noted that it too had the center speaker rattle. The owner since hasn't claimed to notice it (unless I'm not seeing it here).

-Rick