1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rattling and knocking since changing spark plugs?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by lucaspiller, Sep 6, 2021.

1. lucaspiller

lucaspiller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Six weeks ago I replaced my spark plugs with Denso IXEH20TT. I didn't have any issues before, but the car has done 205,000km (130k miles) so it's due and I doubt they've ever been changed before (at least they haven't for 6 years I've have it).

Since I changed them I've noticed a slight rattling noise when the engine is under medium load. It's not noticable in the car, but is when the windows are open. I thought at first maybe it was the exahust is going (never changed, 12 year old car) so didn't think anything of it, other than it being a coincidence. By medium load I mean the power guage is towards the end of the 2nd section. Under high or low load (engine idling) it's doesn't happen.

For the last two weeks I've been on holiday and the car was parked at airport parking outside. Yesterday when I first started the car I had knocking for 15 seconds. It's was 8c outside, so not really cold (our winters get to -25c and never had issues starting before). I drove home and didn't have it again throughout the journey. This morning again no issues, however we have underground parking which rarely gets below 18c. 12v battery was replaced a couple of years ago, and hybrid battery was showing 6/8 bars.

I've also been noticing the oil smells like petrol for the last couple of months. As I understand this is the PCV, which I intented to replace with the spark plugs but it didn't arrive in time. I am not loosing oil or coolant, and all fluids (including transaxle) were replaced last year.

This weekend I plan to replace the PCV and take a look at the EGR and throttle body (never been cleaned). Once that's done I'll replace the oil as it's nearly due. Anything else I should look at while I'm there?

#1 lucaspiller, Sep 6, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Where did you buy your spark plugs and cost?

3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Definitely check the EGR valve and whether there’s available reprogramming. Ours has less than 56000 km and had that in the morning around the same temperature….

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you get access to the spark plugs again, you should pull them and check the gap on all 4 plugs, to make sure they are correct. Also make sure they are torqued properly when you install them back.

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Might be something easy. I had a knocking, rattling sound after cleaning the intake manifold, changing and relocating the PCV valve, and installing an oil catch can.

Turns out, I forgot to bolt down one of the intake hose mounts at the left front corner. It was rattling against the frame.

Did you remember to bolt or screw down everything when you reassembled your car?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    EGR/intake cleaning info linked in my signature.