1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rattling/ Grinding From LFW on turns. (Urgent repair?)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BobThePrius, Jun 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. BobThePrius

BobThePrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey everyone.

Yesterday I noticed a grinding sounds (metal on metal as far as I can tell) on sharp right hand turns from my drivers (left) side front wheel. Since then it has turned to more of a rattling sound and happens on less sharp right hand turns. From what I have seen on past threads this may be a wheel bearing or a CV joint. From a roadside check and a quick feel around nothing is clearly wrong, but I do live in the rust belt so there is some corrosion.

However, I'm driving across the country on a bit of a time crunch with about 1000 miles left, I'm wondering if this is something urgent enough to stop and get checked out or if I might be ok to wait till I'm home and check it out myself and order parts?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
    -priusbob

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What your describing is a failed wb on the drivers side.

I would get it checked. Just bring it to a name Brand tire store for a check up. I know your on the road so cant use your regular tire store but its worth the $ for whatever they charge. Mine it would be like $69.
    Ask the guy at the counter who's your best front end guy. Then find that guy in the work bay and duke him $10 and tell him your story and ask him to check it out real good please. Best $10 you'll ever spend.

Lots of wheel bearing failures on a G2 front wheels myself I lost the drivers side. No grinding just noise like a whup whup and noise started at 45 mah. If it is the WB and grinding thats bad as its way past failed. Drive for a bit like 20 mins pull over and check the tire rim temp and compare on other wheels. Careful it may be real hot. If the rim is hotter than the others be afraid.

Lost of the car fires you see on the road are caused by stuck brake calipers or something else going on they get really hot really fast.

I like Crown Vics owned a few one time driving down the road in one the wheel started pulling to one side out of nowhere I knew something was not right. The time it took me to find a spot to pull over I smelled burning. When i pulled over the tire was smoking the wheel got so hot from stuck closed caliper. If I had continued to drive the tire would have caught fire. I always keep a fire extinguisher in the car now.

CV joints are easy get some gloves and pull on the inners & outers them real hard should be no movement.

Anyway spend a little money and get it checked.

3. BobThePrius

BobThePrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @edthefox5 (sorry for the late reply came home to my internet not working and forgot to reply) It turned out to just be a bent backing plate rubbing against the wheel on a turn. Just had to pay for labor but glad I got it checked out.

Thanks!

edthefox5 likes this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sometimes a stone will get stuck between that backing plate and screech too but will do that all the time not just in turns.

The fact that you only heard it in sharp turns is weird because its on the same assy the wheel turns on so shouldn't change the angle but that's a cheap one though. better than a wb.