1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

rattling sound when accelerating and decelarating

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by smkimm, Mar 26, 2005.

1. smkimm

smkimm New Member

our new 2005 prius makes a little 'rattling' sound whenever we slightly starting to stop or start, then it goes aways. it's like the sound of thin metal band hitting a cog or something rather constantly for 2-3 seconds.
    it anyone having similar problems?

2. mtc1234

mtc1234 New Member

Any particular direction it seems to be coming from? I have a little rattle that seems to be associated with the drivers side tweeter (or there abouts).

3. smkimm

smkimm New Member

it seems to be coming from front side of the driver's seat; from the engine side perhaps? it sounds as if the gears are adjusting themselves or some sorts. . .

4. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine does the same thing 92004 with 34k). The dealer said this is the brake accumulator charging itself for the antilock system.
    With the car in park, pump the pedal about 6 times with moderate to light pressure and see if you can make the noise start.
    Mine has gotten much louder with time. I just drove a 2005 and it was almost silent (3k miles).

5. smkimm

smkimm New Member

I think you are right that it's coming from the brake system. does anyone know if this is something to be fixed, or should be fixed under the warranty??

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

That's a normal sound of the brake pressure accumulator increasing hydraulic pressure. Think of it as a hydraulic compressor (which it is). Compressors are noisy aren't they? Prius is no different.