1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rav4-EV Driver Tom Hank's Home Purchase

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by hill, Feb 22, 2010.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I couldn't help but think of Al Gore, when contemplating the electric / heating / water bills, necessary to run a 14,000 sq foot home:

Tom Hanks, Hot Property - latimes.com

Not intended to sound judgemental, it's just that 14K sq' is so huge! Our biggest home was under 4,000 sq feet, and even that seemed like way too much for us ... & our family had 5 people in it at the time. I get exhausted just cleaning up the 2,600 sq feet we now have ... and that's with help 2x a month. Who knows, maybe it's 'green'ed' to the nines. Life must be good at the top.
    :p

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When it comes to being "green" I don't think you have to sacrifice anything. All you have to do if you want to be "green" is do your best with what you want or need.

If I had the money I would have a 14k sq foot home or even more. If I had that kind of money I would have a Rav4 EV, Tesla Roadster, Tesla Model S, Aptera, my Prius, an original Insight, and maybe a few nice sport gas guzzlers including maybe an H1. I would also have a massive solar array.

3. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

At the risk of riling the "libertarian/teabaggers" on board here. Just because you can afford to by green, doesn't dismiss the waste of being big./excessive/wasteful. All the energy and resources that go into a 14k house and multiple un-needed vehicles etc comes at the expense of the environment.

I agree that you don't have to live in the stone age, or sacrifice "anything), to live green, but I think you do have to be smart, and cognizant of what the "cost" of your choices really is. It is rarely just the up front cost.

Finally, I think wasting time on a thread about the "green" habits of people like Al Gore or Tom Hanks, or Ahnold, or even Ed Begley is silly. It takes the focus (and our energy) away from addressing real solutions for real people.

The 'super rich' are different than most of us, and at that I wouldn't wish to be one of them!

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Any of you that want to contribute to "The KK6PD Toys for the Rich" campaign, please PayPal me at my email address.
    I will let you know what happens!!

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Shoot, I plan on building a 14,000 sqft house UNLESS I get contributions. Put your money where your mouth is and pay me to not build a big honking mansion. I dare you!

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You don't have to be super rich to have a house that size.

Tom

7. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thats the spirit of Cap&Trade.
    I wont build a 28,000 sq house.
    Show me the money.