1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RAZR bluetooth pairing problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by onerpm, Jul 31, 2006.

1. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    My wife has a Motorola RAZR that's about 3 months old (TMobile). I had no problem pairing and then connecting it to my dad's 2004 Prius when we bought the phone while in Florida.

I can't get it to pair with either my 2005, or the 2006 we picked up for her on Saturday. The phone seems to find the car (Handsfree Device), but the phone does not ask for the 4-digit passkey. When I try to get the phone to connect to either car, I get a message that says "unable to connect."

Anyone have any idea? Thanks in advance.

Rob

2. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My RAZR (Cingular) works fine with my 2005 Prius and paired without problem.

Dumb question: Did you make sure to disconnect with any other hands-free device before attempting to pair the phone and car?

3. tacomel

tacomel New Member

I have a RAZR from Cingular and it works correctly as well. Here's the procedure I used:

1. Change the code on the car to something other than the default. I work in computers and am a security freak so this step is optional. I also changed the name of the Prius to something other than "handsfree" to make it more recognizable.

2. Instruct the car to pair with the phone. I think this was Settings - Bluetooth or something.

3. On the RAZR: Settings - Connection - Bluetooth Link - Handsfree. Choose [Look for Devices].

4. If you're lucky, it'll find your Prius and ask you for the passcode. Type it in and you're done. (I think this step automatically disconnects anything else that it might be paired with at the moment.)

Also if you didn't set the phone up to automatically connect, the best way is to access "Device History" under Settings - Connection - Bluetooth link. Find the name of your Prius, and toggle Access to Automatic.

Note that some or all of your menus may be different since you have a different provider. Your success at completing my procedure, or getting it to work at all, may similarly vary.

Hmmm... I just thought of something. If all of your Prii are named "HANDSFREE" maybe this confuses the phone?

4. dvdirv

dvdirv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For awhile, I was having intermittent problems connecting my RAZR with my Prius. For example, in the morning it would connect, then later in the day it would not.

I went to a Cingular dealer who suggested I turn the RAZR completely off, then turn it on. He said cellular phones work like a computer. So after "rebooting" my Prius recognized the RAZR.

Finally, a simple solution to a complicated problem. :)

5. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Thanks, all. I did have my blackberry on (and connected to the Prius) when I tried to pair up my wife's phone, but the car told me that and asked me if it could disconnect it first. I subsequently turned it off prior to attempting pairings.

My wife's phone is set to Automatic, and I tried changing the passkey to a different number and rebooting her phone (her 2006 had a different passkey, 1111, from my 2005 anyway, which is 1212).

I think it is possible that the 2006 may have asked me for the passcode the first time. At some point the Handsfree Device registered on her phone, and I changed the name of it to Black Prius (she's now a cool chick in a black Prius, but that's another thread). If I ask her phone to search for Devices, it finds the "black prius." But when I select it, I get that "unable to connect" message. So, maybe my problem is one of connecting, not pairing. Or, maybe I have to change the name from "handsfree" to "black prius" on the Prius as well as on her phone?

However, when I then tried to pair her phone with my 2005, I get the same "unable to connect" message, even though it does not first find a device (if that makes sense).

I'll just have to play with it some more this weekend.

rob

6. tacomel

tacomel New Member

Yes, my suggestion on changing the name was to configure the Prius appropriately. The phone should find the Prius (the phone shouldn't have to be told to pair with "black prius" or whatever). Let me know if that works, since it may validate the theory that multiple devices called "HANDSFREE" are confusing everything.

I don't remember exactly how to change the Prius's name, but as I recall, it was pretty easy and apparent from within the bluetooth settings menus.

7. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Taco Mel @ Aug 2 2006, 01:29 PM) [snapback]296439[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Taco, I'll give it a shot. However, my wife's phone had not previously been paired with my 2005. It had been paired with a bluetooth headset and with my Dad's prius in FL... I had renamed the HANDSFREE to "Dad's Prius" on her phone, but not in his car... I wouldn't think the name would make any difference. For instance, on my Blackberry, I've changed the names of the various handsfrees I've paired it with to "05 priius" "06 prius" "pop's prius" on the blackberry only, not in the cars themselves, and it has no problem connecting to any of them.

I also can't figure out any way to delete the "black prius" from her phone; I wanted to do that and start over. there does not seem to be a way to delete a paired item from the RAZR once it's in there. I thought I found a delete button, but it was only to delete characters in the name, and wouldn't let me delete all the characters and save it blank (although I doubt that would have actually deleted the device itself).

rob

8. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Does the Prius support multiple Bluetooth phones at the same time?

9. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ Aug 2 2006, 01:40 PM) [snapback]296453[/snapback]</div>
    yes, you can have multiple phones paired with the Prius. However, it will not automatically connect with whatever phone happens to be in the car when it's turned on. You have to go through phone menu to "select phone" and change it to the phone you wish the Prius to connect with. It will continue to connect with that phone every time you get into the car, until you change the selection.

In other words, when my wife and I get in my prius, it connects to my phone every time, and ignores hers.
    If she is going to borrow my car, she has to select her phone one time.

(nothwithstanding the problem I'm currently having getting her RAZR to connect to either prius, as that's how it worked with her prior phone.)

10. tacomel

tacomel New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onerpm @ Aug 2 2006, 01:39 PM) [snapback]296451[/snapback]</div>
    Here's how. On the RAZR choose Settings -> Connection -> Bluetooth Link -> Device History. Use arrows to highlight the entry you want to delete but do NOT click on it. Instead click the middle button in the top row (the one that brings up the dropdown menu on most screens). Choose delete and then confirm.

11. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Taco Mel @ Aug 2 2006, 08:14 PM) [snapback]296696[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks again, TM. I'm not too familiar with my wife's phone, and the manual is MIA. I will try that this weekend and try repairing the phone and cars again.

Oh, hey, I spend monday and tuesday of this week in your fine city; drove down from Minneapolis for some meetings. Took my 2005. Stayed at Hilton dt overlooking lake (priceline $44!)...cool downtown.

rob

12. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

I had no trouble pairing my RAZR (Cingular) with the Prius...some difficulty with address book download...needed to do it one by one...but then could move to Speed Dial and Voice Tags with little difficulty.

When I get in and my phone is on, sometimes it says...BT connection failed...so I just turn off phone and then on again and ...no problem.

My car BT is default....so if I am wearing my BT earpiece, the car takes over and I shut off my earpiece BT.

Garage door opener is cool, too!!

Best to check on questions with your phone with your service ...just stop in at a dealership...most of them are helpful and they learn about different cars as well.

I actually helped my dealer, since he verified that in my case, I could only download one phone addy at a time...but it goes fast once you start. I loaded about 80 numbers in a few minutes.

t

terri