1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RCA cable to coax?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by statultra, Mar 9, 2008.

1. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    lets say, i have a camera with a video output with RCA cable, can i take that RCA cable and splice a coax and hook it up, ground to the shielding, signal to the coax signal wire ( whatever u call it ), then on the other end the same splicing with RCA connector, would the video signal transmit correctly, if say the cable run is about 100 ft?

2. jammin012

jammin012 The man behind The Man

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    They make RCA to COAX adaptors, M-M, M-F, F-F, whatever you want. No need to splice.

Depends on the signal strength you're injecting and the sensitivity of the reciever. There will be degridation but you should be fine as long as you're not hoping for high quality video.

Might be easier to go with a wireless deal, depending on your power needs.

3. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You might get impedance mismatch issues such as reflection and distortion. Try it....if it works...it works.

4. sparkyAZ

sparkyAZ übergeek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Remember that video equipment typically requires 75 ohm impedance coax such as RG/6U. Get a good quality coax and crimp F connectors on each end, then use this adapter to get back to RCA:

Radio Shack Catalog #: 278-260
    [See image attached below]

If you don't have the tools to properly crimp an F connector, you can buy a 100ft pre-made cable with male F connectors:
    Radio Shack Catalog #: 15-1559

If you try to cut, splice, and hack the connectors then glob it up with electrical tape and hope it works you're setting yourself up for failure (improper terminations and impedance mismatches will destroy your signal).

Attached Files:

5. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It should work fine. The RCA cables are 75 ohm impedance just like the RG6 or RG59 cables. I used four 100 feet runs of RG6 for my HDTV R, G, B and Digital Audio, but I bought RCA connectors to solder directly to the coax. The F-connector to RCA adaptors should work just fine for Composite video i. e. Single Yellow RCA video.

6. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We use the connectors talked about here and have a run to a monitor down front at my church of about 85-100 ft. Works fine, you can also get video signal boosters from Radio Shack for 20-40 bucks.

Wildkow