1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RDS appearance from steering wheel?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by m1j1tc0rn, Feb 29, 2004.

1. m1j1tc0rn

m1j1tc0rn New Member

i noticed all my stations are sending RDS signals... title, artist, and station type. needless to say, i'm excited and it's quite usefull. however, i am noticing i can't get this information from the station unless i hit the "audio" button on the main console.

is there anyway that i can hit something on my steering wheel to show station info so i can see each time a new track happens? for that matter, can i get the station/audio info to "stick" for longer than 5-10secs at the top of the info or map main screen?

thanks.
    -r

2. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Getting it to "stick" is the easy part. Just go to your Setup screens. There's an option you can enable/disable for automatically returining to the Energy Monitor screen. I have this disabled on mine since I can always use my right thumb to select this display using the Info button.

As for the RDS info, the only way to see this when the Audio screen is not the current display is to use the up/down channel select buttons on the left side of the wheel. The top portion of the screen always shows you the action you're taking if it involves something on a screen that's not displayed. This also includes showing you the temperature setting when you adjust it from the controls. Of course, in all cases, you would need to press the up and down buttons in rapid succession to see the info without actually modifying it.

As you'll quickly learn, especially if you get the XM module, Title and Artist are only useful if you can recognize the info with the first 10 letters only. Even using the TEXT button to get the info in full-screen mode still limits you to 10 characters only.

3. rockluvr

rockluvr New Member

I'm pretty sure the messages will not be displayed anyway unless the vehicle is stopped. Mine gives me a message to that effect anyway. It would be nice if it DID display while you were driving so the front passenger could check it.

4. mboileau

mboileau New Member

If you hit the button while the vehicle is stopped to toggle into the large message display and simply leave it that way, it will remain there while driving. Note that the corresponding button for the XM module is not disabled while driving.

5. m1j1tc0rn

m1j1tc0rn New Member

hey, thanks a lot.
    i'll modify the setup screen tonight.

it usually ends up that the "msg" is the track info anyway and you can see that change while driving. i don't have xm, so this is only for radio.

thanks again.
    -r