1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RDS jumbles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by timbobo3, Sep 4, 2008.

1. timbobo3

timbobo3 Junior Member

Has anyone had gremlins in their RDS? I have stations that I know DON'T have RDS showing song names and the song/artist names are sometimes scrambled on all stations...or they are frozen and don't update. What did your service entail? Replacement of the radio/receiver unit?
    I have an '07 with 13k miles.

2. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No RDS trouble on my 2006 with 61000km. Keep in mind though that some stations just transmit poorly formatted RDS data that can confuse some receivers. Your best bet is to go to your dealer, park two Prii next to each other and tune to the same station. Check the display to see what RDS data is being read in. If there are errors and your FM reception is fine otherwise, push to have the radio tuner unit replaced under warranty. An RDS FM receiver has a traditional analog section you listen to and a digital section that decodes RDS data. A fault in the tuner that separates the RDS data could feed the RDS data decoder chip with a garbage signal. (assuming the data was transmitted correctly in the first place...)

Check these out:

Radio Data System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HowStuffWorks "How is my radio able to display the station's call letters?"

3. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i think you can rule out the radio by tuning to different radio stations. or try "msg" ?
    lately kufx has been sending out the rds tag "angie" and its been stuck on "angie" for a while

yeah other then replacing the radio if needed or changing the antenna out, i can't think of any other way to trouble shoot it, instead of what other people have mentioned

4. timbobo3

timbobo3 Junior Member

thanks...I think it's the radio digitial part because a neighbor with a new Prius does not have the problem.

5. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    yeah if its under warranty just make them order you a new one