1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

re adding air to tires

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by BrennanShilohRescue, Feb 14, 2009.

1. BrennanShilohRescue

BrennanShilohRescue New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hi all,
    i've read the posts about tire pressure and want to increase mine. you all were right - the tire people won't do it. so i bought a tp guage and an inflater....because i don't want to be struggling with this, sitting on the ground at a gas station, the first time i try to do it, lol!
    okay, stupid girl question now:
    is there anything i need to know about this tire inflater gizmo before i use it? like, if i add too much air too fast can i blow out a tire???
    yes, i could ask a guy to do it, but i want to learn to do this myself so i can do it regularly on my own.
    thanks for your help,

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What kind of inflator did you buy? Many/most these days have a gauge built in so you can see an approximation of what the pressure is as it is filling the tire...it's a guide, but they are notoriously inaccurate so always use a good pressure gauge to confirm the actual pressure.

You're not gonna blow out the tire, more than likely you'd fry the inflator before that happened. If your inflator doesn't have a built in gauge, I suggest that you let the inflator run for about 3 minutes, then check the pressure to get an idea where you are. Depending upon the inflator I find that pressure will go up around 1 psi every 30 sec. to 1 minute...but that varies. I also find that it's a little easier to overshoot the pressure by a lb. or two, then use that little sticking up thing on your guage to let a spurt of air out until it comes back down to your target pressure.

Bottom like...you're not gonna hurt or break anything. After your first efforts you'll figure out how fast the pump works and how long it takes. Also, once the tires are where you like them it takes much less time and less air to top them up.

Don't ask a guy to help...this is well within anyone's capability and it's a great little first step in getting closer to your car and getting comfortable working on it.