1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Re-calibrating speedometer for new tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nyprius, May 24, 2006.

1. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd like to put 195/60R15 tires on my 05 BC Prius. The US 185/65R15 OEM tire looks narrow on the car and doesn't seem to handle well (poor cornering, freeway tracking, etc). The wider 195 tire would handle better and look better. In Japan, Europe and Australia, the OEM Prius tire is a 195. Japan and Europe use a 195/55R16, but I don't want to buy new rims. The 195/60R15 has 5-8 more revolutions per mile (depending on tire brand). This would affect the speedometer reading by less than 1%. Is there a way to re-calibrate the speedometer/odometer for new tires?

In an earlier post, someone said re-calibration could be done. But I could not find re-calibration info on PC.

2. busyrosy

busyrosy New Member

can you "cheat" your mpg by putting real small tires, and not calibrating the odometer?

:p

3. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

There is a button in the nav setup menu that you're supposed to press when you get new tires. But that only affects the nav system, not the speedometer display.