1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Re-learning" after battery failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by theclarinetguy32, Sep 12, 2010.

1. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello,
    Have a question on what exactly is involved in and required when the shop has to 're-learn' functions on the car after a 12V battery failure.
    After a recent deployment I found my battery dead and after sucessfully getting it jump started, minor things like the automatic driver's side window function wouldn't work as it used to. When I took the car into the service center they said a 're-learn' programming session is needed.

Not that I am dying to get my automatic one press window control back, but what all is actually lost in terms of programmed features/functions in the prius after a dead battery?

The shop wants anywhere from $50-100 depending on what needs to be done, which of course makes me wondering what is actually lost.

Thanks!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Reset the driver's window auto up/down function. All that is required is to lower the window to halfway. Then raise the window to close it, and continue to hold the power window button in the raised position for a few seconds after the window has closed. Then you should find that the auto function is restored.

2. Your radio station presets need to be reset.

3. Your trip odometer settings on the combination meter will be lost. The MFD mpg and trip odometer readings may be lost.

That's about it, you can see that there's no point paying $100 to take care of #1 above when you can DIY so easily.

3. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The great knowledgable Patrick! I think every time I have asked a question you were first to reply and always right on.

Thanks for the info!

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Patrick has no life. Some of us have to take time away from PC to read comic books and such.

Tom

5. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    He has a life... good thing for the rest of us that it's right here.:cheer2: